A question about boiling water

mLynn

Hii, I have a question about boiling water.

Here is the problem: (This is in a restaurant)

There is a boiled water (which is one order(of soup to be exact>_<)) Then, we find out there is supposed to be 2 orders instead of 1 order. So, one person says, we should take that already boiled water out, then boil another one. The other person says, we should just pour another into that already boiled water so they mixed together.

So my question is, which one will boil up faster?

I can't test it out myself since I dont have the materials. Could anyone please explain to me which one will boil up faster and why? If possible, could you please provide me a site or anything that I look up for?

Thank you very much!

P.S. I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum or not. Please move it if I post in wrong forum. Thank you! :D

It shouldn't make any difference. Most kettles or anything else that you may use will add heat to its contents regardless of how much water you have in it. If you already have one serving of water at it's boiling point then add a serving of water at room temperature, the time you will have to wait will be the time required to deliver enough heat to heat the mixture to the boiling point. This would be the same amount of heat required to bring to a boil the single serving. Therefore it will take the same amount of time either way.

It shouldn't make any difference. Most kettles or anything else that you may use will add heat to its contents regardless of how much water you have in it. If you already have one serving of water at it's boiling point then add a serving of water at room temperature, the time you will have to wait will be the time required to deliver enough heat to heat the mixture to the boiling point. This would be the same amount of heat required to bring to a boil the single serving. Therefore it will take the same amount of time either way.

This has to do with the fact that the two substances are both water and, thus, have the same specific heat, which means that, regardless of whether you pour the water into the boiling water or heat it separately, the time required to bring the water to boiling will remain the same. When you add cold water to boiling water, the the cold water gains heat, but the boiling water loses the same amount of heat, which means there is no net increase in temperature.

And like neonblack asked: You don't have water or a saucepan?

This has to do with the fact that the two substances are both water and' date=' thus, have the same specific heat, which means that, regardless of whether you pour the water into the boiling water or heat it separately, the time required to bring the water to boiling will remain the same. When you add cold water to boiling water, the the cold water gains heat, but the boiling water loses the same amount of heat, which means there is no net increase in temperature.

And like neonblack asked: You don't have water or a saucepan?[/quote']

Thats under the assumption that the rate of energy exchange is constant between 0 C and 100 C. In general, this is not true.

So....just go get a pot and find out.

Hii all,

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm... I do have water :P Sorry if I didn't make it clearly. I meant to say I don't have all the materials that I need. Such as, maybe thermometer and beaker :-( If I had the materials, I'd want to make sure the data are as accurate as possible. So yeah ><

Thanks a lot for the inputs though :D