Just a question, but i need the help.

Miseria_

Okay, me being me, I've forgotten the major amount of physics I learnt, in particular, specific heat capacity.

so, it would be agreat help if someone could give me some means of working this out.

Calculate the thermal energy required to convert 5 kg of ice at 0 degrees celsius to steam at 100 degrees celsius. (specific heat capacity © of ice = C of steam = 2100 J\Kg\K, specific heat capacity © of water = 4200 J\Kg\K, Latent heat of vapourisation = 2.3 X 10^6 J\Kg, Latent heat of fusion = 3.3 X 10^5 J\Kg

thanks... ;)

• 1 month later...
Miseria_ said in post #1 :

Okay, me being me, I've forgotten the major amount of physics I learnt, in particular, specific heat capacity.

so, it would be agreat help if someone could give me some means of working this out.

Calculate the thermal energy required to convert 5 kg of ice at 0 degrees celsius to steam at 100 degrees celsius. (specific heat capacity © of ice = C of steam = 2100 J\Kg\K, specific heat capacity © of water = 4200 J\Kg\K, Latent heat of vapourisation = 2.3 X 10^6 J\Kg, Latent heat of fusion = 3.3 X 10^5 J\Kg

thanks... ;)

I think this is how it is done :

T.E to convert ice at 0'C to water at 0'C = mlf

T.E to convert water at 0'C to water at 100'C = mS d :theta:

T.E to convert water at 100'C to steam at 100'C = mlv

T.E = mlf + mS d :theta: + mlv

= 15.25 * 106 J

lf = Latent heat of fusion = 3.3 X 10^5 J/Kg

S = C of Water J/Kg/K

lv = Latent heat of vaporisation = 3.3 X 10^6 J/Kg

Don't know the function of - specific heat capacity © of ice = C of steam = 2100 J\Kg\K

I'm sure there's a mistake somewhere.