Dissolved ions in an alloy.

jdurg

This is pretty neat. A while ago I had made a post in regards to some gallium that I had which had taken on a bluish tint and was really confusing me. I had obtained a bunch more gallium to add to my collection and had melted it down so I could pour it into the container with my existing gallium. I also wanted to have a mirrorlike surface to it so I had to scrape away the little bit of oxide that floated to the top and stuck to the sides of the glass. To remove the oxide, I used some newly stripped copper wire bent into a little hook. The oxide stuck to the copper and I was able to clean my Gallium. When the gallium solidified, however, I noticed that it had taken on a bluish color along the sides of the glass. I think I've come to realize that the bluish color is the result of some copper atoms which have dissolved inside the gallium metal. I now wonder how the copper is giving off the blue color inside the metallic gallium.

Gallium.jpg

Could you post a larger image of the material? I also wonder what the white stuff is at the bottom. Or is that the reflection of the white surface on which the bottle is positioned?

If copper is dissolved in another metal I do not expect formation of Cu(2+) ions or Cu(+) ions. It is an alloy and the color of alloys can be everything. So, the blue color is not due to ions, but what it is also remains a question to me.

The white stuff is a reflection of the surface that the vial is sitting on. When I get a chance this weekend, I'll try and get a better photo of the vial to really show off that blue tinge to it. The blue color is exactly the same as that of a hydrated copper sulfate salt. Could it be possible that the copper reacted with the gallium in some manner? Something like a CuGa compound which has dissolved in the Ga. I now know that in a sodium/mercury amalgam the sodium reacts quite loosely forming an Na2Hg, or NaHg2 (Can't remember the exact formula) metal-metal compound.

I suspect it`s an oxide or some sort, my gallium does that too, I have a peice I keep in the fridge, and it also has a bluish tinge to it in certain lights, it`s never even seen copper before.

sometimes when an oxide layer is so thin and fine it will interfere with light giving the apearance of a color.

that would be my guess without actualy examining the piece :)