Wireless network config

insane_alien

My neighbour got a wireless router for his house for christmas(and got me round to set it up since neither he or is wife could figure it out) but this morning when i turned on my laptop it kept trying to connect to his network instead of mine. I've set all the preferences so that my laptop should prefer my own network instead of his but it just doesn't seem to work. My network has the higher value(since it doesn't have to travel as far or through as many walls) and is even on a different channel. but for some reason it still wants to connect to his network. Any ideas?

By default a winXP computer with a wireless network card will automatically try to pick up any wireless connection it can connect to.

For example when my cousin comes over with her laptop it will say that it can connect to my neighbours wireless network. But she still has to actually click 'connect' for it to make a connection.

Try searching on that winXP Help and Support Centre thingy as there may be an option somewhere to disable this.

When you say it tries to connect what do you mean??? Do you mean it merely detects and it and asks you if you want to connect? If so then I think that's just normal, or default anyway.