B.S. in Molecular Biology?

I'm 3 Semesters away from my Bachelors (Biology w/concentration in Molecular Biology), and am beginning to wonder where I go from there.

I'll be doing 4 years in the US Army immediately following graduation.

After that, I'd like to be involved in Biotechnology. Human applications, such as genomic studies (bioinformatics) and genetic diseases research.

What options does my BS afford me? How employable am I?

Should I shoot for an MS or PhD? What programs/schools are good?

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

It depends on what you want to do. With a BS, your major opportunities will be working as a lab technician.

An MS will get you a bit more pay, and perhaps some extra responsibilities but not much else.

If you aspire to be the head of a laboratory go for your Ph.D.

Human applications, such as genomic studies (bioinformatics) and genetic diseases research.

Well just like the previous post said if you intend to do more than be a lab technician you need to get your masters, and really ultimatley PhD. There are really 3 types of people who are involved in research in an academic setting. #1 people looking to get a higher ranking. #2 lab technicians. #3 people with the highest ranking possible.

If you intend to work for a corporation and do research there you have a chance of getting to actually handle a project with just a masters.

But yeah anyone who intends to do research and actually wants to handle their own project ultimatley should be looking to get a PhD.

And why not? You know you get paid to do a masters and do research and the same for a PhD. Sure the pay isn't quite as high as you'll get initially in a corporation, but you also get alot more freedom usuaully. Why not do research that will ultimatley get you a higher degree and not just research for cash?

To me the degree just seems like a reward for a job well done and not necessarily a goal in itself.

So, if I wish to have a major role in R&D, the Doctorate is the way to go?

Which begs the question: what type of Doctorate?

Can you (with a 3.3-3.5 science GPA) jump straight from a BS into a PhD program, skipping the MS level?

I'm aware of the combined MD/PhD (Medical Scientist) programs at several Universities. How advantageous are they, compared to regular doctoral programs in a single field, for someone who wishes to do his primary work in human-related biotech fields?

I was aware that some grad students get stipends, but do they really approach cost-of-living?

Thanks all.

Can you (with a 3.3-3.5 science GPA) jump straight from a BS into a PhD program' date=' skipping the MS level?

I'm aware of the combined MD/PhD (Medical Scientist) programs at several Universities. How advantageous are they, compared to regular doctoral programs in a single field, for someone who wishes to do his primary work in human-related biotech fields?

I was aware that some grad students get stipends, but do they really approach cost-of-living?

Thanks all.[/quote']

You may be able to. Though previous research lab experience would be a much bigger factor in being permitted to skip to a doctorate. Though what a good deal of people do is start a masters and take a transfer test into a PhD. They count everything you've done in your masters towards your PhD if you haven't graduated so you don't loose anytime.

Yeah they have thoes. They're usfull if you want to do clinical trials and for the presteige. But you can do research on a MD anyways so I'm not sure it wouldn't be a waste of time. It's a personal choice really. It usually adds a year or two onto your doctorate.

Stipends? Oh they average just bellow $20,000. You're garunteed one if you can't find external funding at all decent schools. It will cover tuition (really cheep for grad work), rent, some food etc. You wont be living large. But I know some peopel who hold multiple scolarships. If you're competative you can make almost $50,000 in some cases.

I am currently in a Ph.D. program in Human Genetics. A number of programs will let you jump straight in with only a Masters, including mine (U. of Utah), though sometimes it is bes to go for a MS first. It will give you more research experience, help you figure out what you might want to research, or even if that is the right choice for you, plus you can spend 2-3 years on a project and find out it sucks rather than 5+ years. You also get to try different areas of research.

In terms of stipend, molecular biology program tend to pay over 20K (my stipend is at 23k this year) because you will be doing important research for your lab. You will not be rich, but you can still pay your bills and you do not have to go out and get an alternative job (as people in many humanities and social science programs have to do, sometimes even with a stipend b/c it is so low.)