The news forum

If applicable, include information like subscriptions to a scientific journal (it would be nice to get articles from a wide variety of sources) and so on.

I would add that you can only post "fair use" excerpts of copyrighted material from such journals with a link back to the complete article. With public news release type stories you can publish the entire story

I would add that you can only post "fair use" excerpts of copyrighted material from such journals with a link back to the complete article. With public news release type stories you can publish the entire story

Indeed. I'm planning on writing up some guidelines on news stories and such. It'll only be viewable to news group members, but we'll fix up the rest of the submissions. (Actually, I might make it visible for the public... hmm...)

I wonder if it will take off, not many people come here looking for news.

Also could we post political news? Or does that go in politics?

I also still think there is an issue with news articles being posted in the relevant subject section of the forum (ie. "quantum gravity breakthough" in the QM section).

That being said I'm willing to keep up a flow of scientific news and am willing to be on a News Team if you want me to.

I wonder if it will take off' date=' not many people come here looking for news.

Also could we post political news? Or does that go in politics?

I also still think there is an issue with news articles being posted in the relevant subject section of the forum (ie. "quantum gravity breakthough" in the QM section).

That being said I'm willing to keep up a flow of scientific news and am willing to be on a News Team if you want me to.[/quote']

Would be a good idea to seperate them out into sections... build seperate feeds for each section etc.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Nah, because then you'd have loads of sections. And I wouldn't want to load a page with only physics news, if I got to a scientific news page I want a general spread.

Lots of "I"s... it's my personal view, don't take it the wrong way!

Besides, News hardly has the traffic to even consider splitting up now. Get it started, see how it runs, if it's really popular and needs splitting up the time will come.

I think there ought to be Science News and World News sections. That would leave the Politics forum for actual discussion of political issues, with the world news forum for things like natural disasters and such.

And 5614, if you'd actually like to be a part of the news team, send me a PM. It's only herpguy and me at the moment, so we need a few more to keep up the flow to a few articles per day (and have enough people that we can actually edit articles and such).

I've also noticed that sometimes there are posts about news in the science forum its self, e.g. sometimes physics news in the physics section.

Should there not be a way to have these moved to the news forum etc. Maybe requests thread?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I have an idea.

I personally suck at writing, half of what I write makes sence to me and the rest does not to be frank I do try and submit the odd article but I would rather someon better write the reports so here is my idea.

Can we have a thread some wehere so peple who (like me) can't write good introductions can submit links to articles so someone else can create a write up for them?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Can we have a thread some wehere so peple who (like me) can't write good introductions can submit links to articles so someone else can create a write up for them?

I wonder how old the news would get before someone did the write up though? I think it's easier to find public news releases at universities and government agencies like national laboratories. These are intended fro publication and circulation so you can post the whole article as written; no need to write anything.

Just my 2¢,

That would be an interesting (and useful) idea. Not sure which forum it ought to go in, though. Create it if you'd like.

Should we get some confirmation for staff where it should go? It would be lost in the general section and as for anythin else I'm not shure where it would go...

Suggestions anyone?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones