Is Java Suitable?

BigMoosie

Hi, my software teacher couldn't really help me here as I am way ahead of the course so I thought I would ask you guys.

I am wanting to code a 3D environment but am unsure what language to use.I don't want to be using openGL or anything as I want to write the basics myself. So here is my question, what language would be most appropriate? I have very good knowledge of JavaScript so something that is similar syntactically would be ideal. C++ seems too much effort to make use of graphics so I thought Java might be alright but I thought I would seek professional advice first, any thoughts?

Hi' date=' my software teacher couldn't really help me here as I am way ahead of the course so I thought I would ask you guys.

I am wanting to code a 3D environment but am unsure what language to use.I don't want to be using openGL or anything as I want to write the basics myself. So here is my question, what language would be most appropriate? I have very good knowledge of JavaScript so something that is similar syntactically would be ideal. C++ seems too much effort to make use of graphics so I thought Java might be alright but I thought I would seek professional advice first, any thoughts?[/quote']

C++ can be used for just about anything including 3D rendering but as you have stated its more complex than its worth so its probably best avoided unless you know what you are doing and have good skills with using the basics of image modeling and manipulation in C++

Java would probably be the perfect langauage here, its powerful and its quite simple comparted too C++, I agree with you - it seems the best choice for you.

You could even do somethign like use DirectX's 3D tools to help, it makes things a bit easier but cna be a pain when things go wrong :D

If your looking for a place to start then here is your best choice: http://developers.sun.com/

Anyway, good luck!

Ryan Jones

Hi' date=' my software teacher couldn't really help me here as I am way ahead of the course so I thought I would ask you guys.

I am wanting to code a 3D environment but am unsure what language to use.I don't want to be using openGL or anything as I want to write the basics myself. So here is my question, what language would be most appropriate? I have very good knowledge of JavaScript so something that is similar syntactically would be ideal. C++ seems too much effort to make use of graphics so I thought Java might be alright but I thought I would seek professional advice first, any thoughts?[/quote']

I'd recommend Ruby. It has bindings to Tk out of the box and you can get gems to bind to OpenGL. Best of all, Ruby is a reflective language that can easily expose implementation of its bindings and bridges. After that, really consider migrating to C or some derivative, if only because an exercise in graphics programming is also a good exercise in memory and process management and IO.