Bellows

NavajoEverclear

Ignore how little application this may have in modern times but i have an idea. Say you are sailing your ship somewhere where there isn't much wind. Could you create artificial wind by using a system of bellows (obviously they'd have to be large, and have some well ordered and fairly strong mechanical power source)---- or would that not get you anywwhere because the air would push the bellows back with equal force as the masts are pushing the ship forward? Would the forces just counter each other with the bellows attached the very thing they attempt to will?

well obviously not AT the sails, that would be self defeating, and serve only to create stress in the ships hull between the mast and the fan. the idea was to mount the fan at the front blowing bacwards at the sails with the rudder or tiller bar at dead ahead, and to use the sails as a steering mechanism like used in hovercraft or hydo planes. afan`s much more efficient than bellows and more constant. his idea would work, but not in the arangement he specified. the bellows would be better employed under water to create a jet type arrangement.

that was my point. :)

on a re-read with the focus on AT as in self defeating (may as well do it in a box and expect it to move) perspective, then yeah, I can see what your saying, but I didn`t read it like that 1`st time round, so the fault IS mine, hands up guilty. I just didn`t expect anyone to mean something like that and be serious at the same time :) to me his question had merit in the way I read it.

patent 1981 !!! and they ALLOWED that? :)

well yeah, I supose they must have, it IS MONEY after all :)

but i`de hazzard to say that almost ANYONE with an ounce of common sense wouldn`t have wasted their money and gone and spent it on little 50cc Johnson outboard motor and be done with :))

neat site tho :)