Drinking Cold Water

Vanitas

The Chinese believe that it is unhealthy to drink ice water. I can understand how it could slow things down a bit, such as digestion, however, I was wondering if it really is detrimental to one's health on a long term basis. Personally I'd take an ice-cold beer over lukewarm anyday.

The Chinese believe that it is unhealthy to drink ice water. I can understand how it could slow things down a bit, such as digestion, however, I was wondering if it really is detrimental to one's health on a long term basis. Personally I'd take an ice-cold beer over lukewarm anyday.

Not in this age, in the past it could have been as non-heated water would have had some nasty bacteria and other microbes in it so it could have made sence then but we have stuff added to our water sothis point no longer works .

Today I don't thnk this is true at all as people have ben doing it since we evolved and a long time before!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I'm Taiwanese, and my parents don't really like it when I drink ice-cold stuff, unless it's a really hot day. They always say I'll get sick if I keep drinking cold stuff. I don't believe it has much long-term effect on health, but I think I heard once that cold makes you more suspectible to getting sick.

I'm Taiwanese, and my parents don't really like it when I drink ice-cold stuff, unless it's a really hot day. They always say I'll get sick if I keep drinking cold stuff. I don't believe it has much long-term effect on health, but I think I heard once that cold makes you more suspectible to getting sick.

In a way it does but not that kind of cold, you'd need your whole body to be cold, not just a small part of it :) The reason is when you get cold your heart rate goes down to conserve energy, when this happens all un-nessisary facilities are closed down and the immune system cna be affected by this but its not true for drinking cold water :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I have never heard of it being very detrimental to your health. However, I have heard some other theories on drinking cold drinks:

It is said that drinking a cold beverage (regardless of the kind) is a bad idea before singing. Your vocal cords become chilled and can make it harder for your to hit the correct notes. Instead, you should drink lukewarm or warm drinks before singing.

Also, I've heard that cold water is detrimental to your physical performance when exercising. While it can help you if you are suffering from overheating, cold water in your stomach can make your blood rush to your stomach to warm it to core temperature. This causes less blood circulation to your muscles which can result in cramping.

-M

I have never heard of it being very detrimental to your health. However' date=' I have heard some other theories on drinking cold drinks:

It is said that drinking a cold beverage (regardless of the kind) is a bad idea before singing. Your vocal cords become chilled and can make it harder for your to hit the correct notes. Instead, you should drink lukewarm or warm drinks before singing.[/quote']

Because they can't vibrate as fast, yes.

The only problem with cold water that I know of is that it doesn't work as fast to quench thirst and rehydrate the body. This is because water has to be heated up to body temperature anyway before it can be absorbed, so by chilling the water you just delay relief, and make your body work harder as well.

It's also better (I've heard) to pour cool rather than cold water on yourself if you're overheated, since cold water will just constrict the blood vessels in the skin and actually trap heat inside. I'm not sure if this is also the case for drinking it, but it seems like it should be - more constricted blood vessels in the stomach means less heat should be transferred to the water, meaning your body is cooled down slower. However, more heat can be transferred overall with cold water, so I really don't know.