EM phase shift

Jacques

Hi

In an other thread, it was told that the electric field is in phase with the magnetic field in EM waves (photon).

My question is:

Is it possible (theoreticaly or in practice) to shift the magnetic field 90 degree of the electric field ?

If yes what would be the result ? Would it produce a rotation of the photon ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.:confused:

The electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field in EM.

Electromagnetic radiation

What I am asking for is a phase shift between the E and M field.

Normally in a EM the max electric field is at the same time as the max magnetic field. They are in phase.

Is it possible to modify that phase ? For example 90 degree: The electric field is max when the magnetic field is min...

Photon are influence by magnetic field. I know that it influence the polarization of the photon. Does magnetic field modify the direction of photon ?

Wouldn't it take some kind of component to induce the phase shift, like a capacitor or inductor causes a phase shift between voltage and current?

But since the EM field is in the air, how do you insert a component in the "circuit". Or would it be done in a waveguide?

Or do I even know what you are asking?

Meir Achuz Thanks for your answer. My question was about EM in air or in vacuum but it nice to know that in some condition a phase shift can exist.

navynuke you are right we need something to induce a phaseshift so let me tell you what thought lead me to that question.

In the electron/positron creation pair process, how does two gamma photon convert to matter ?

What happen in the collision of the photon ?

One of my thought was that in the collision the photons started to spin on itself giving the electron and positron pair. Momentum of the photons transformed in angular mometum... Matter would be spinning EM. How can this be possible ? Maybe the electric and magnetic field of the photons intefere and created a phaseshift during the collision. sin x + cos y =1 give a circle...

That's just some thought.

Does that model (spinning photon) or something similar been studied ?

Is it theoritically possible ?

Does the wave equation of a photon of .511Mev look like the wave equation of an electron ??

I am not an expert in physic and a not to good mathematician, that's why I am asking here.

Waiting for your comment, proff or thought.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I did a little search on internet to see if there are other peoples who thaught that electron, positron and other particle are in fact spinning photon and I found that paper: http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0204/0204037.pdf

A lot of equations and it look very serious and with my little math base I feel that the guy knows what he is speaking about. Maybe some of you who knows a lot about QM can take a look and tell me if my feeling is right...

I also found that http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=1030

• 4 years later...