Fruit Fly Genetics

Helix

The project I'm working on now, on evolutionary divergence, is in a slow patch so I am going to try my hand at some Mendelian genetics while I wait.

I've looked around at some articles and websites and I think I might know how to go about all of this, but I am still wondering if anyone has any tips for this. I can imagine this sort of thing is trial-and-error so I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed.

Also, thought this website was cool for amateur genetics: http://www.bioservers.org/bioserver/

It's a cool website that let's you upload sequences and then analyze them for various things. Pretty nifty.

I've looked around at some articles and websites and I think I might know how to go about all of this' date=' but I am still wondering if anyone has any tips for this. I can imagine this sort of thing is trial-and-error so I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed.

[/quote']

What exactly are you trying to do?

To ecoli: Sorry, I didnt give details about what I'm trying to do (my inner noob escaping). I'm going to try to observe inheritance; how physical traits are passed on and how they are expressed in the litter. General observational stuff about inheritance.

To Primarygun: Yes, it analyzes sequences pretty well and if you look at the Public records there are quite a few professional labs using the site. I think it's pretty cool, but it is a little tricky to upload and save sequences.