self-healing

Fab1976

Dear all,

I am posting to ask you a question:

We all know form our direct experience that upon a scratch on our skin, our blood is well equipped to heal the skin surface. However, I do believe that this is not the only “self-healing" process taking place in nature, isn't it?

My question is:

Do you know other examples of self-healing surfaces?

If yes, can you please give me a few more examples?

Thanks!

Fab

Dear all' date='

I am posting to ask you a question:

We all know form our direct experience that upon a scratch on our skin, our blood is well equipped to heal the skin surface. However, I do believe that this is not the only “self-healing" process taking place in nature, isn't it?

My question is:

Do you know other examples of self-healing surfaces?

If yes, can you please give me a few more examples?

Thanks!

Fab[/quote']

I'm not really shure I understand the question.

Just abour every other species regenerates, some evem more so than us. A crab for example cna loose a claw and grow it back - that would eb the same as chopping someones arm of and then it growing back.

Can you restate the quesiton so it would be better answered?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

there have been cases of a rupture in Ectopic pregnancies that have gone "untreated" and although the female host it Very very ill for a while, the rupture has healed and the pregnancy has worked out perfectly (albeit with complications during c-section delivery where the foetus developes outside the womb), in other cases where it`s not worked the dead foetus is then calcified internaly as it starts to decay and becomes like Stone. this is an Extreme case sure, but it just goes to show that such things and lesser wounds will heal too :)

edit: Jeez this server`s SLooooow!

"Do you know other examples of self-healing surfaces?"

As said above, I am unsure as to what you are actually asking. Are you asking about complex vs simple regeneration? Epidermal wound healing is an example of simple regeneration. Limb regeneration is a complex method. Nematode regeneration, starfish regeneration are both considered to be complex regeneration, although an argument can be made for these being labeled as simple regeneration. If you can clarify what you are asking for, we can help you better.

Newty

There is research being done into self-healing polymers. When the material cracks, microcapsules rupture and release the healing agent into the damaged region through capillary action.As the healing agent contacts the embedded catalyst, polymerization is initiated which bonds the crack closed. Apparently the scientists have achieved a regeneration strength of 75%. Doesn't occur in nature but still kinda of cool. :)

thanks you all for your reply and I am sorry of the question was not that clear. Let me try to make my point differently:

besides the healing of skin and/or other biological tissue are you aware of some inorganic or non-organic healing processes. For example, can a stone or a mineral repar its surface? Or how the hard body (outside) of crabs and other marine invertebrates heal?

Vanitas is bring a very interesting man-made example: self-healing polymers. Do you have more info about that (e.g. articles, names, etc.)?

I hope that the question is a bit clearer now.

Fabrizio