Forum Slowness

I have a feeling that SFN's servers are getting bogged down with the level of users that we have on at any given time. I've had quite a few "Server is too busy" errors thrown out by vB, and occaisionally I can't get through at all.

Knowing that SFN is on a VPS at the moment, I think there are a few possible solutions, the most obvious being "get a dedicated server." Of course, I don't know if blike is willing to shell out that much a month, so the only other possible solution would be to reduce the amount of work the server has to do. Disable a bunch of unnecessary vB features, clean up templates to decrease the disk usage/bandwidth, etc.

Hope things clear up soon.

I have an idea what scausing this and I've already contacted a staff member about it.

My suspisions are not fact though so I will not post them here incase I am wrong :)

I'm really interested to know why this is occuring, its certainly not normal. I have not seent this happen since my time here...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Quit making me curious. Now I'm going to start nagging you about what it really is.

Looking at the index, we have far fewer people online than we did at one point in January (though it may be due to an improvement in vB's management of search spiders, reducing the number of duplicates). Looking at the other sites on the server, they're all slow (and it's a VPS) which indicates that something is chewing up the CPU time.

It looks like maybe the server config could be contributing, i.e.

Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.11 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7e

mod_bwlimited doesn't allow bandwidth bursts so intermittent high volume will get a server busy.

Quit making me curious. Now I'm going to start nagging you about what it really is.

Looking at the index' date=' we have far fewer people online than we did at one point in January (though it may be due to an improvement in vB's management of search spiders, reducing the number of duplicates). Looking at the other sites on the server, they're all slow (and it's a VPS) which indicates that something is chewing up the CPU time.[/quote']

The numbr of users online have been lower as too have the numbeer of bots (Which are probably being cut off by the messages just like we are).

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Unfortunately vB doesn't have anything to do wit hthe server speed. Mainly it's the amount of hits the server is getting, and I can't really touch the config because it would break quite a lot of cPanel functionality.

But yes, a dedicated server would likely fix the speed issues. However, they're quite expensive and blike's busy with med school, so I don't know what'll happen for the time being.