crystallography and x-ray diffraction

know it's a really basic question...but are crystallography and x-ray diffraction the same thing?

In a way they are and in a way they are not.

Crystallography: The science of crystal structure and phenomena.

X-ray diffraction: The scattering of x-rays by crystal atoms, producing a diffraction pattern that yields information about the structure of the crystal.

So yes in that x-ray diffraction is a part of crystallography but no because crystallography is the general studdy of crystals :)

May I ask why you posted this in the biology section though?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I wouldn't be surprised, thousands of protein structures have been deterimined - and as far as I know most of them have been determined by X-ray crystallography.

To answer the first question, I would say that x-ray diffraction and crystallography are two integral parts of x-ray crystallography which is using diffraction of x-rays by crystalised molecules (e.g protein) to infer the structure of the molecules. So, technically they're not the same thing but with sloppy english people might be refering to the same thing :)