dimensions of a back hole?

airkyd

our universe constists of 11 dimention. i only knowing the first 4; 1d, 2d ,3 and 4d (time), but a black hole has how many dimentions. 11 likes its theory should guest for thsi universe or.... less. i have a theory that a black hole had fewer then 2 dimensions. thus its power to up so much matter as it tries to reform back to its lower dimension.... so does a black hole have a 4 dimension? can a higher dimension exist if a lower doesn't?

the theory that our universe is comprised of 11 dimensions is purely conjecture. there is no evidence supporting this. i believe it was developed as part of string theory.

i think that a singularity (what supposedly exists at the center of a black hole) would be 1 dimension, but i am not completely sure.

Yes, the 11 dimensions bit was made as part of the string theory. When 11 dimensions were put into the calculation, all the eqations worked out and made sense.

It states that we live in 4 dimensions. Then, 6 of the other dimensions are curled up inside our dimensions. They are too small to access. As for the last dimension, it states that on that lies something called "branes" which are stretched out strings. When the branes collide, they result is something like the big bang.

Of course, this is just a theory

Yes' date=' the 11 dimensions bit was made as part of the string theory. When 11 dimensions were put into the calculation, all the eqations worked out and made sense.

It states that we live in 4 dimensions. Then, 6 of the other dimensions are curled up inside our dimensions. They are too small to access. As for the last dimension, it states that on that lies something called "branes" which are stretched out strings. When the branes collide, they result is something like the big bang.

Of course, this is just a theory[/quote']

"branes" ??? dont you mean membranes ??? i still dont undertsandt if though :/

any one know any thing about the M theory ?

yeah, scientists shortened the word membranes to just branes

As for the M theory, I think it came about when scientists had found 5 different interpretations to the string theory. A scientist named Edward Witten unified those theories and stated that they were all different ways of looking at one single theory. It was this theory that created the 11th dimension, and hence, branes. All the other theories stated that there were only 10. It was that theory that became the M theory. More than that, I know nothing of it.

Also, scientists had one more thing to figure out, what the M stood for. Som guesses are:

Mystery thoery

Matrix theroy

Mother theroy

if there is a singularity at the center of a black hole, then it has no dimentions. Because a black hole IS the singularity...

However, if you mean, what dimentions does it affect? This is purly conjecture, but I'd say 4 (if you look at the "graph" of spacetime for a black hole... it's basically a giant hole in a plane, that goes down to a single point (the singularlity).

Now a black hole doesn't really affect time since time is realative, but as you fall into it, your time would move slower than that of on outside observer (not under the influence of the black hole). To claim that it affects other dimentions would be pointless, because there is no proof that they even exist, and there is no way to observe them.

No. It's saying that a black hole is really a point in space and time, and a point has no dimentions. 0 dimentions, not infinite.

Yea I agree - the point of the signularity is crushed down to well... nothing (0D).

We don't really know a lot about the black hole or its signularity because General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics don't like to work together on the subject and cause a breakdown leading to answers of infiinity.

More informaiton on black holes can be found here :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

There is no reason to believe that a black hole is a singularity. Everything inside of the Swartzchild radius (the region where light cannot escape) is inherently inobservable, and so we really have no idea how much space the mass causing the black hole takes up. It could be anywhere from infinately small, to a radius just under that of the Swartzchild radius, and the observable effects would be the same.

A black hole appears to be a point singularity with respect to distance but not to time. A black hole may define point space with respect to inertial reference, but it does not define a point of time since it lasts longer than an instant within inertial reference.

There is no reason to believe that a black hole is a singularity. Everything inside of the Swartzchild radius (the region where light cannot escape) is inherently inobservable, and so we really have no idea how much space the mass causing the black hole takes up. It could be anywhere from infinately small, to a radius just under that of the Swartzchild radius, and the observable effects would be the same.

Thats not actually true, the same equations that show that a black hole must form as a result of the collapse of a huge star show that the star must continue to collapse as there is nothing known that cna stop it from doing so!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones