What Programming language ?

anandvivek88

You'll have to be a bit more specific. There are hundreds of programming languages out there in two main catorogies (three really...)

Catigory 1: Web Programing

Catigory 2: Computer Proramming.

C beloongs in the second catogory so it all depends on what area you wish to focus :)

If you like computer programmng then things like Visual BASIC, Java or one of the other versions of C may suite you.

If you like web programming then Java, PHP, ASP, Javascript my suit you :)

If you'd be more specific to the language(s) then I'd be glad to offer as much help as I can and point out some good references for you :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Catigory 1: Web Programing

Catigory 2: Computer Proramming.

Way too simplistic.

The question you want to ask yourself is:

What do you want to do with the programing language?

JAVA is a good language to learn imo because it forces good coding practices apon people...

And what kind of thing would you like to program?

I think a good question to answer (which I can't) is what programming language allows you to do a lot of things which you simpy cannot do in C?

I actually think that C is the most powerful language for just about everyhting though some will probably disagre on that.

C is highly customisable and is a very poweful lanaguage but is quite hard to learn and requires strict syntax.

There are other poweful languages with loads of features: a few of my favourites are:

Visual BASIC - a poweful language that runs on Windows only. Syntac is based arround objects and mainly forms. You may also want to look into the VB.NET - its the new thing :)

Pascal: Simmilar to Visual BASIC.

Java: Again anotehr very poweful language and it links into the internet too!

Other variations on C such as C++ and C# are also very good :)

There are loads of others too but those are a few of the ones I know and like a lot :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

VB is my strong point... though it'd be nice (IMO) to know C## not sure why but I've always thought I'd rather go for C## than C, there was probs a good reason once!

The language of your choice strongly depends on what you want to build in the language.

The C-language is very good at low-level things (e.g. control of machines, fast algorithms for computations, data processing, I/O on multiple devices, etc.).

The C++-language also is quite good at these things, but sometimes the virtual method table lookup overhead in accessing (method)members may be a burden.

Even with JIT-compilers at hand, Java and C# do not come close to the performance, which can be obtained with truly compiled languages like C and C++.

If you aim for end-user programs with GUI, then C is not your best choice. Of course there are numerous libraries, which allow such programs to be written in C, but things can become quite cumbersome. Enterprise-applications hardly are written in C and C++ nowadays anymore. Languages of your choice here are Java and C#. With many pieces of middleware, higher-level languages may be available also.

Another question you have to ask yourself is on what platform you will be developing. I've developed software for mainframes, PC's, but also for embedded small devices. The environment, OS and hardware possibilities widely vary and not each programming language is available on each platform.