Positioning of structures within cells.

Conceptual

If one looks at cells, once the structures of cells are positioned, new proteins seem to know where to go. The cell is not helter-skelter, but rather distinct cellular proteins and the distinct configuration which they define are positioned within the cell. Ion pumps always find the cell membrane. The ribosomes don't usually become active within the nuclear membrane but usually leave the nuclear membrane and diffuse to their asigned postions within the cytoplasm to become active, etc.

There is no little traffic cop directing intercellular traffic yet the materials know where to go. Random motion is out of the question. The reason they diffuse to distinct positions is due to hydrogen bonding equilibrium. In simple terms there is a configruational potential between the DNA and the cellular membrane, based on hydrogen bonding potential. Large material configurations and all their subunit proteins find an equilibrium position within the gradient set up by these two poles. The downstream gradient of material goes from the DNA to the cellular membrane while the upstream gradient (cellular material input) starts at the cell membrane and reaches the DNA for genetic pertubations that alter the downstream output.

During cell cycles the gradient potential changes due to the alteration of the cell membrane potential and the structural changes within the DNA during mitosis. All the materials within the cell will need to alter their positions within the new emerging gradient. This will help separate the materials for two daughter cells.

There is no little traffic cop directing intercellular traffic yet the materials know where to go.

Flat out wrong, as usual.

Serious, go read a cell biology textbook. This isn't my field, and I've only had sophomore-level cell bio, and I *still* know you're wrong.

First, there's a cytoskeleton of actin, intermediate filaments and microtubuules, the former and latter of which have motor protiens which can and do move things around inside the cell.

Second, the position and location of intra-membrane structures is controlled by a sequence of nucleotides at the beginning and end of the mRNA, which are used by both the rough ER and Golgi to determine the proper location. Actual movement involves the cytoskeleton.

Seriously, you cannot formulate a theory without appropriate background knowldge, yet this is precisely what you are trying to do.

Mokele

The text books tells us what and where, but leave off too much of the how and why. I agree with the use of the cytoskeleton of actin, intermediate filaments and microtubuules to move materials around, but this still comes down to why do these proteins end up here instead of there. During the formation of two daughter cells the cytoskeleton is gone. It equilibrium reforms to help anchor daughter cell configurations and move materials here and there. The cell gradient as I tried to explain, sets up gradient potentials within the cell. High hydrogen bonding potential gradients within actin also implies a need for electron density, in this case ATP. The gradients create their own potentials for the ATP flux that is used to move materials to where they need to be to define equilbrium.