Thermo Energy

Science266677

I would like to use Thermopiles to store energy in a cell then run an ultra low wattage bulb from the cell.

I would like to supply the thermopiles using the energy from -

I2R Heat Losses

I have been trying to come up with a way of using the i2r heat losses found in many machinery control centres at industrial installations. The areas around the busbars which supply the energy are hot sometimes very hot and heat the air in the room to above 30 degrees.

I don't know if you were to clip something onto the busbars whether or not it would be detrimental for the supply of energy yet but I will investigate. Maybe the heat could be absorbed from the area around the busbars.

Pipe Heat Losses

I am also interested in using the heat losses from pipes containing a hot liquid. Most purposely heated liquids are insulated to keep heat in.

Is this posssible??

Some things I Dont know

I dont know the lowest energy using bulbs or how bright or expensive they are.

I dont know the input characteristics needed to supply a storage cell used for output to bulb.

I dont know the highest or lowest temperatures thermopiles are effective at and Temp vs O/P.

I dont know if having a heatproof material attached to the busbars would be detrimental to the transfer of energy to supply the machinery.

I dont know where to find information on recent developments relating to thermopile technology. I only know one manuacturer of thermopiles but realise one could be developed.

If you have any comments or can help me with any answers to what I don't know that would be really great and thank you.

Rob

Reusing those heat losses isn't easy and if possible not cheap.

That is why they are concentrating on reducing the heat losses instead

(increase efficiency, isolation if allowed/possible.)

A light bulb is one of the worst examples almost all the used energy is heat loss and only a smal bit is light energy.

But this will help a lot in the future:

White LED to replace light bulb

http://www.livescience.com/technology/051021_nano_light.html