The Solubility Product Constant Ksp

EvoN1020v

I have this question that I can't answer. It's for homework and I need your help.

Q. The solubility product of a saturated magnesium hydroxide solution is 1.2 x 10^-11 (mol/L)^3 at 18 celsusis degree. Predict the pH of a saturated magnesium hydroxide solution at 18 celsusis degree.

Please answer back as soon as possible. Thanks :)

My last question was: What would be the normal (non-acidic) concentration of calcium ions in a lake lined by limestone?

My answer was:

CaCO3(s) = (Ca 2+)(aq) + (CO3 2-)(aq)

Ksp = [Ca 2+ (aq)][CO3 2- (aq)] = 9.9 x 10^-9 mol^2/L^2

[Ca 2+] = sqroot(Ksp)

=sqroot(9.9 x 10^-9 mol^2/L^2)

=9.9 x 10^-5 mol/L

That was my last question and I answered it. Now for the question that I requested, I know I have to 1/3 sq root of the magnesium hydroxide solution. But how am I supposed to predict the pH value???

That was my last question and I answered it. Now for the question that I requested, I know I have to 1/3 sq root of the magnesium hydroxide solution. But how am I supposed to predict the pH value???

If you have a saturated solution of Mg(OH)2, how much Mg(OH)2 will there be in solution, how many moles per liter?

From this you can compute the concentration of OH(-) ions.

Next, you can compute the concentration of H(+) ions, using the identity [H(+)][OH(-)]=10^(-14). That should give you the pH.

Beware, in this computation I made a BIG simplification. It only works if [OH(-)] >> 10^(-7). For very low concentrations of OH(-) you need to solve a set of equations, resulting in a single quadratic equation. For your problem, however, the simplification is OK.