Calcium... carbonate, oxide and hydroxide etc

jsatan

I month ago or so I was cooking some Calcium carbonate to make calcium oxide, I was thinking is there a eay way to purify this?

Because I've I've been using everyday limestone (thank council workers :P ) I'm happy to grind up the Oxide then do what ever using water etc then re-cook it again.

While Im on the subject of cooking,

A while ago I was thikning about cooking Barium carbonate, this needs about 1300C, as far as I know this will break down to Barium peroxide, can anyone confirm this?

I can cook this easy (new and improved charcoal cooker, :P even clay gets melted, lol. )

Anyway I'll be back in a day to read (grrr library comps, lol. )

Some peroxide is ment to be formed' date=' hummm...

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Ba/chem.html[/quote']

This only happens, when you actually burn barium metal in air, or when it is oxidized slowly by oxygen from air. Heating already-formed BaO in air is very unlikely to form BaO2.

Anyway, any ideas on cleaning the Calcium oxide?

This will be quite hard in the dry way. A very tedious and long way would be to go over the wet way, dissolving it in acid, purifying a calcium salt by fractional crystallizing, precipitating CaCO3 and then heating again. A better and cheaper way probably is to go to a drugstore and buy some pure calcium carbonate and heat that.

This only happens' date=' when you actually burn barium metal in air, or when it is oxidized slowly by oxygen from air. Heating already-formed BaO in air is very unlikely to form BaO2.

This will be quite hard in the dry way. A very tedious and long way would be to go over the wet way, dissolving it in acid, purifying a calcium salt by fractional crystallizing, precipitating CaCO3 and then heating again. A better and cheaper way probably is to go to a drugstore and buy some pure calcium carbonate and heat that.[/quote']

I dont mind wetting it and reheating (charcoals cheep when summer is over, lol 40p for 5kg bag, :D )

I dont mind doing it, I can buy it but I find making it more fun.

Dont we all?