Sodium percarbonate, getting the O2

jsatan

Hi, I've got some Sodium percarbonate (oxy plus cleaner, you know the stuff).

It was so slow to give off any oxygen at all.

So I did some reading in the time I could and its like H2O2.

So I think I'll try the same thing you do to get the O2 out of the the peroxide.

I added some manganese dioxide (back stuff in batteries) and this worked pretty good.

But I only got about 1 balloon full of gas from about 30g (2 scoops) of the sodium percarbonate.

And I'm not to sure on how pure this is.

Its higher then nomal air but not That high as H2O2 will give you.

So to cut to the point, is there a better way to get the O2 out?

There is not more O2 in it. You have the best method of getting the O2. Really, this stuff is not that interesting. You have at most 10% by weight of free oxygen, probably much less, due to impurities in the stuff.

You can explain that easily. Look at the formula of the stuff. It is something like Na2CO3.H2O2.xH2O. There is only one free oxygen atom in this entire compound and if you look at the weight percentage, then you only have 10% or so. If the compound also is impure (due to mixed in detergents, perfumes, surfactants, etc), then you can imagine that the percentage of free oxygen maybe is in the range of 5 to 7% by weight. So, 30 grams of this compound gives 1.5 to 2 grams of oxygen, which is roughly 1.5 liter of gas.