Time Travel and the bucket effect.

Duke

i would think it would be impossible to travel through time into the future. the futture has no happend so there is in essence no place you could go?

md101 said in post #26 :

i would think it would be impossible to travel through time into the future. the futture has no happend so there is in essence no place you could go?

It's easy, and we've already done it (albeit by a minuscule period of time).

IMI said in post #27 :

What a great racket that would be! Take stuff back in time, sell it, and get the heck out of there before it disappears and people come looking for you ;)

Berlingoff Rasmussen ah0y!

(How come I remember his name but not the episode?)

Guest Umbabula

Yes, the bucket theory makes perfect sense. I`ve never heard it before and find it very interesting. Have you read `A Brief History Of Time`? in it Prof. Hawking discusses the problems of time-travel. His theories completely support what you`ve said

Guest Umbabula
MrL_JaKiri said in post #24 :

Once again, you'll only get infinite mass IF AND ONLY IF THE MACHINE GOES BACK IN TIME AN INFINITE NUMBER OF TIMES.

Which it doesn't. It goes back once, and there happens to be two when there was one, temporarily.

Umbabula speaks: When you create a loop in time it inherently become infinate

Umbabula speaks: When you create a loop in time it inherently become infinate

yes it does, but non interfering and non cumulative either :)

else it would have been that way the 1`st time round :)

it will ALWAYS be out of phase by however long you traveled back by. and even if you TRIED to get get back to intercept your original "landing" you`de still be out of phase by the time taken to make that jump :)

and even if you COULD time it to an INFINATE`th farction of a pico second and BE in phase( you couldn`t) since two objects cannot be in the same plase at the same TIME, you`de be double dense mush! do this an infinate amount of times and you`ll reach critical mass and turn back into energy, and that would bring us right back to the E=MC^2 equasion :) and so by default the bucket effect is at best an interesting "story" but implausible :)