BaOH + NH4Cl

dorcus

I was just wondering if Barium Hydroxide + Ammonium Chloride would be a dangerous endothermic reaction.

Well, I'll probably not be able to help much bere because i'm not shure what is formed when they react :)

If, however, you know what the products of the reaction are then you can work out the total bond energy to start with and take the end bond energy from that, if you get a negative value then its exothermic, otherwise its endothermic :)

Good luck,

Ryan Jones

I was just wondering if Barium Hydroxide + Ammonium Chloride would be a dangerous endothermic reaction.

When mixed, these give NH3, H2O and BaCl2. I would expect this to be an exothermic reaction, although not a really strong exothermic reaction.

Endothermic reactions are not dangerous at all (at least not in terms of violence, heat, ignition, explosion etc.).

Endothermic reactions are not dangerous at all (at least not in terms of violence' date=' heat, ignition, explosion etc.).[/quote']

Isn't the decomposition of [ce]NI_3[/ce] endothermic? I'm shure I read somewhere it was?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Can you give me a reference? I hardly can imagine that this reaction is endothermic, but of course you may be right. I never studied the NI3/NH3 system in detail.

The only reason, where an endothermic reaction may be dangerous is where solid compounds are converted to gaseous compounds at high speed, but I do not know an example of an endothermic reaction with that property.

Can you give me a reference? I hardly can imagine that this reaction is endothermic' date=' but of course you may be right. I never studied the NI3/NH3 system in detail.

The only reason, where an endothermic reaction may be dangerous is where solid compounds are converted to gaseous compounds at high speed, but I do not know an example of an endothermic reaction with that property.[/quote']

I'm pretty shure it was here :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The decomposition of NI3 is DEFINITELY not endothermic. The Nitrogen-Iodine bond is not very strong, but the Nitrogen-Nitrogen triple bond is VERY strong. Energy is released when bonds are formed, so the formation of that N-N triple bond releases far more energy than the breaking of the N-I bonds require.

Also, you completely misred the quote here:

The process 2 NI3 (s) => N2 (g) + 3 I2 (s) is exothermic, so that N2 (g) + 3 I2 (s) => 2 NI3 (s) is endothermic. Endothermic compounds tend to be unstable.

What that is stating is that HEAT OF FORMATION of NI3 is endothermic. The enthalpy of reaction for the decomposition of NI3 is quite exothermic.

I'm pretty shure it was here :)

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

The process 2 NI3 (s) N2 (g) + 3 I2 (s) is exothermic, so that N2 (g) + 3 I2 (s) 2 NI3 (s) is endothermic. Endothermic compounds tend to be unstable.

I have the idea that you misinterpreted this sentence. The compound is endothermic, so the decomposition is exothermic.

EDIT woelen: Sorry, jdurg already pointed out this reading-error.