Fire triangle`

Primarygun

absolutely. an oxidant? how about, say, a halogen? and a fuel? how about, say, an alkali metal or alkane?

As budullewraagh sad it can happen quite easily. I know Iron wool can burn in a Chlorine atmosphere because I have done so! (Looks great too - lots of sparks :D)

I didn't think so... But the "oxidant" refers to that' date=' doesn't it?

[/quote']

Just remember the OIL RIG rule, (Oxidation Is Loss of electrons, Reduction Is Gain). It was named Oxidation ebcause it was originally thougt to only happen when Oxygen was present but later the definition was expande but the name remained the same!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I couldn't imagine a strong oxidizing agent other than oxygen can cause fire.

Can anyone give an example?

I can't think of an example off hand but if there were a strong exothermic reaction then it could start a fire I suppose :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

It's supposed that the fire triangle does indicate that the raw materials responsible for a fire rather than just starting it, right?

Do you mean its the actual source or the fule for the combution? If you do then yes :)

You'd be hard pressed to have a coal fire without the coal :)

Just to add: Iron wool will also burn in all of the Group VII elements in gas form as far as I can tell. (tested with Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine - can't get any Fluorine!)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

it's ok. fluorine will burn just about anything:\

I'm not surprised... in a book I have its explaining about the incompatabilities of certain chemicals with one and other... the listing for Fluorine is everything...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Yes, I understood that water can burn in fluorine! That would be really cool to see.

Yea it could but its probably not something I'd like to try in a home lab (I would not really like a load of Fluorine gas stored, knowing what this stuff can do)... I must say it sounds strange burning water because people normally accociate burning with flames and not the movement of electrons :)

I'll have to try this one day though :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

tHE FACT IS THAT THE FOLLOWING ARE REQUIRED FOR COMBUSTION TO OCCUR

1)cOMBUSTIBLE SUBSTANCE EG.HYDROGEN,

2)SUPPORTER OF combustion rg.chlorine,oxygen

3)Ignition temperature

The supporter of combustion is generally called the oxidant

Not necessarily reffering to oxygen but to any supporter or oxidising agent..

The most common in the nature is oxygen that why it's given so.

Actually it was given that name because, at the time of its naming, they presumed that things could only burn (Become oxadized) in Oxygen, it was later foudn out that things can be Oxadized by other substances and thus the definiton was expanded to the movement of electrons but the name stuck :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones