Earthquakes???

mooks

I have a theory about all the earthquakes happening at the moment and wanted to bounce it off a few people to see what they thought???

Does anyone think that all the oil we are removing from the earth does not serve as some sort of lubrication for the tectonic plates???

Would really love to know from someone that knows a little about this.

thanks

Mooks

Interesting question Mooks.

I personally don't know alot about it, but when you take this information into account;

Earthquakes also occur when human activities, such as the filling of reservoirs, increase stress in the Earth’s crust.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761571674_2/Earthquake.html

Your theory makes sense. I look forward to hearing from someone better equipped to answer it.

I have a theory about all the earthquakes happening at the moment and wanted to bounce it off a few people to see what they thought???

Does anyone think that all the oil we are removing from the earth does not serve as some sort of lubrication for the tectonic plates???

Would really love to know from someone that knows a little about this.

thanks

Mooks

This doesn't really make sense to me...

Look at the map

earthquakes.jpg

Major recent earthquakes (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/)

Oil deposits are not in most of these places. In fact, earthquakes occur on plate boundries or faults, while oil rests within the porous sections of the earths crust. There is no relation. Earthquakes have been happening a lot longer then we've been taking oil out of the ground.

Oil deposits are not in most of these places. In fact, earthquakes occur on plate boundries or faults, while oil rests within the porous sections of the earths crust. There is no relation. Earthquakes have been happening a lot longer then we've been taking oil out of the ground.

Well that answers it for me. Thanks Ecoli

Scientists observing the phenomenon say the oil field was being topped up from below, through a complex system of fissures and geological faults. According to Dave McGowan of the Centre for an Informed America, this is not news to Russian and Ukrainian scientists, who have published hundreds of academic papers on the abiotic origins of oil.

http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/features/fex52182.htm

Well, it should be testable: if we find oil in non-sedimentary rocks, we can rule out a fossil origin for it (and I'm guessing the abiotic origin theory would or could be developed to predict which non-sedimentary rocks to look at and where to look). Similarly, the fossil fuel theory predicts it would only be found in sedimentary rocks, and if it's mostly matter from ancient multicellular organisms, that restricts it to sedimentary rocks of the last 550 million years or so.

Mokele