Whistle Powder

YT2095

WOOT!!!! :))))

Green Whistle powder works like a charm!

I went for a double dose of the color too, using Barium Benzoate AND Barium Chlorate/Perchlorate, the color was a perfect really Vibrant green with no sodium contamination anywhere (or any other Ions) to affect the color.

it burns fiercely with a crackle, when cast these will make fantastic stars! :)

the only thing left to do now it wait until I get some Strontium salts and see if I can do the same in Red, meanwhile, I`ll continue with these and various combinations of barium salts that I now have, and try again with the Blue color.

I`ll be doing some Stability tests on these also, a great color and effect needs also to be 100% safe too.

edit: as requested, here`s the method:

Barium Benzoate: I started with Sodium benzoate, but potassium benz is better if you can get it, dissolve it in water untill no more will dissolve, then slowly while stiring well, add HCl, instantly a white PPT will form, when no more comes out of soln stop adding the HCl. and filter the liquid off.

keep the ppt in the filter as that`s the raw benzoic acid, this needs to be washed several times to get rid of as many sodium ions as possible. allow it to dry and then re-dissolve it in pure alcohol and filter again.

the sodium ions are not soluble but the benxoic acid is, so keep the liquid this time and allow it to evaporate, leaving your benzoic acid.

I mixed this powder with Barium carbonate (impure) at roughly a 50/50 mix and then added Water (neither of them will dissolve properly untill you heat it up, then you`ll notice a reaction, the white powder mix will start to "Fizz" an the white powder will reduce in quantity leaving a white PPT at the bottom and a clear liquid, filter off this liquid while it`s still hot.

allow the liquid to evaporate somewhere warm (I use a radiator) soon crystals will start to form, this is your Barium Benzoate :)

Barium Chlorate/Perchlorate:

after mixing the impure Barium carbonate with HCl (30%), doing this very slowly so it doesn`t "Fizz" over too much as the CO2 and H2S is evolved, eventualy no more will fizz, so add a few extra drops of HCl just react all of it, and stir well to make sure.

you`ll note there`s a crystaline product at the bottom, that`s barium Chloride, you need to add water to this now and keep stiring until this Barium Chloride is all dissolved, and then filter off any impurities that in there (and there will be some).

the clear liquid is now ready for electrolysis.

I use both carbon anode and cathode for this and I run the voltage at 3.9 volts (4 will do), this is NOT an open circuit reading, this should be the voltage while the cell is active.

now you just have to leave it running for a good 3 days, stirring well at least twice a day.

you`ll notice a white almost insoluble ppt at the bottom of the cathode, ignore it, it shows it`s working, there will be Chlorine gas liberated too, so ventilation is a good idea.

when complete, filter this liquid and allow it to evaporate, you`ll have a good mix of barium Chlorate and perchlorate if you`ve let it run long enough, you May need to change the anode during this time, so have some on standby. as the chlorine gas starts to become less, you may up the voltage a little until it`s present again.

that basicly is about it, when you have both lots of Crystals you finely powder them, and mix 75/25 Chlorate to Benzoate making the Green Whistle powder.

a word of WARNING! Barium compounds are TOXIC! and barium benzoate is perfectly lethal! so excersize caution when handling these compounds, and wash your hands regualrly, whether you think they`re clean or not, and keep ALL of these chems away from Food areas and pets!

• 1 year later...

*BUMP*

much of the above can be circumvented if you use Ammonium Benzoate to start with.

a saturated soln of that and of Barium or Strontium nitrate will PPT out beautifully pure crystals without a problem at all, let the reaction mix stand for a few hours in the fridge and you get great crop crystals :)