red blood cell

sasu

if RBC is kept in hypotonic solution cell wall will break leading to death of cell.

but what about cell membrane ?

i know cell membrane is not able to maintain the inside pressure

iam using ammonium chloride 0.8 m to break rbc .then also i am getting rbc under microscope ...

how one can distinguish between intact:mad: & breaked rbc:eek:

I think the problem with observing red blood cells in hypotonic solutions where they have burst open is that they become difficult to see. The cells that have not burst should become swollen and loose their biconcave shape. The cells that have broken open are called ghosts and they should appear more transparent, and thus harder to see. If you could prepare a slide where you view a particular section at normal body salt levels and then you could view the same section with a hypotonic solution then I think the difference would be more apparent. But I have never done this so...

I think the problem with observing red blood cells in hypotonic solutions where they have burst open is that they become difficult to see. The cells that have not burst should become swollen and loose their biconcave shape. The cells that have broken open are called ghosts and they should appear more transparent, and thus harder to see. If you could prepare a slide where you view a particular section at normal body salt levels and then you could view the same section with a hypotonic solution then I think the difference would be more apparent. But I have never done this so...

ok I am not intrested in observing the breaked rbc....

I want that all rbc should get breaked without causing much problem to wbc ....just now i am using ammonium chloride 0.8 M solution .Other method is chilled water. whether plane water:-p will cause any problem to wbc or not