Catalogue of Species?

The Peon

I am planning on taking a 6-12 month trip to Honduras, Central America. In a region near where I am going, exists a ravine carved in a mountain by a river. The great part of this ravine is that it is 5 miles long, and is virtually untouched by science. The second greatest thing about the ravine is that it is a sub-tropical/torpical biome and is surrounded by grassland for hundreds of miles... Now if you dont know where I am going with this yet, I plan to fully explore the ravine and document the species which reside in it. I plan to find at least some new uniquely evolved insect species in the ravine, and anything bigger would be a divine gift!

What I need though, is a catalogue of current species of Central America, specifically Honduras, and I have been having trouble finding one. Can someone aid me in this endeavor? Thanks in advance!

http://print.google.com/print?id=o0c78yak-b4C&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=south+america+catalog+insect&prev=http://print.google.com/print%3Flr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dsouth%2Bamerica%2Bcatalog%2Binsect%2B%26btnG%3DSearch&sig=aY209SPRecDYQnefcrZM48SoA74

I did a quick search and this was all that I found. When I need to find a specific kind of book like this I will often enlist several experts. I will call a couple of librarians and some book store clerks and tell them what I am looking for. One of them is bound to turn up with something.

Before you go, I *highly* recommaned Lamar's "Venomous Reptiles of the Western Hemisphere" as a guide for things not to touch. I'm positive that there are coral snakes down there (relatives of cobras) which don't obey the red-touches-yellow rule and can reach 6 feet long, along with some mimics. When in doubt, don't touch it.

Best of luck, and name a species after SFN!

Mokele

Before you go' date=' I *highly* recommaned Lamar's "Venomous Reptiles of the Western Hemisphere" as a guide for things not to touch. I'm positive that there are coral snakes down there (relatives of cobras) which don't obey the red-touches-yellow rule and can reach 6 feet long, along with some mimics. When in doubt, don't touch it.

Best of luck, and name a species after SFN!

Mokele[/quote']

If I find a lizard, I promise I will name it Mokelious Maximus ;)

Thanks for the guide. I will look for it on Amazon or one of those. BTW, coral snakes DO exist in Honduras, I almost stepped on one when I was a teen and it would have killed me, given that the nearest hospital is 30 minutes away.

I was mostly interested in insect species, and a catalogue or listing of the current species known in Honduras/Central America would be nice. But I doubt such a thing exists. I thought you science guys had things better organized :P