US-Russia space alliance threatened by politics

Pangloss

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1173194

In a nutshell, the Russians continue to sell technology and build a nuclear power plant for Iran, which is putting a strain on its relationship with the United States.

The political angle to this that I think is interesting is that it seems to suggest that if Russia wants to continue its space program, which is an important part of its national pride, then it may need to stop dealing with Iran.

Thoughts?

It'll be interesting to see Russia's reaction. They still pursue foreign affairs policies that are fairly independent of US influence, so they probably don't want to be pushed around, in case it spreads to other situations.

Yeah, it's interesting stuff. Bush has to deal with the Iran Nonproliferation Act which prohibits the U.S. from paying the Russians for their participation in ISS. Congress may be reluctant to change this policy.

Apparently Bush considers Putin to be his good buddy, I wonder how that will play out.

It really pisses me off what Iran and everyone helping them develop nuclear weapons has gotten away with. A.Q. Khan, "father of the Pakistani a-bomb" (and former head of the international nuclear black market), sold them (as well as North Korea and Libya, and possibly Al Qaeda) uranium ultracentrifuge technology which he essentially stole from European companies he was working at. Musharraf is so grateful to him for making Pakistan a nuclear power that he's essentially been pardoned, and any requests by the US or the IAEA to interview him regarding his wheelings and dealings in nuclear technology have been flat out denied by the Pakistani government.