Question about infinity…

JonM

Now I know our universe isn’t infinite, however from what I understand about M-Theory the 11th dimension contains an infinite number of p-branes. Now many think that these p-branes each contain a universe (each with a different set of physics etc) But how could this infinity be possible? Then that would leave the absolute possibility that something would arise that would destroy everything, thus nothing would be possible. (Unless these infinite universe follow a set of rules)

Now I could be wrong in my understanding of the M-theory (and if I am please correct me), but my question applies to any theory about multiverses or a system in which there is infinity… I don’t see how infinity in the sense I am describing is possible? Infinity would cause non-existence? It’s the opposite of existence, the opposite of everything? No?

EDIT:

(sorry I think this might be in the wrong forum)

I think the very first clause in your post is wrong (and therefore the basis of your post is), because it is commonly accepted that the universe is functionally infinite. That is, you can never get to the end of the universe, so it might as well be infinite.

That's my understanding, at least.

Hmm, even in a multiverse no universe could have any effect on another so the fact that there are an infinite number of them would not make any difference.

I think the very first clause in your post is wrong (and therefore the basis of your post is), because it is commonly accepted that the universe is functionally infinite. That is, you can never get to the end of the universe, so it might as well be infinite.

this makes no sense, "functionally infinite", either the universe is OR is not infinite. We could never reach the end of a boundless finite universe, doesn't mean it's infinite. It is still debatable over the nature of the universe.

Quoted from Wiki so theres no confusion..

"However, the observable universe, consisting of all locations that could have affected us since the Big Bang given the finite speed of light, is certainly finite. The edge of the cosmic light horizon is 13.7 billion light years distant. The present distance (comoving distance) to the edge of the observable universe is larger, since the universe has been expanding; it is estimated to be about 78 billion light years (7.8 × 1010 light years, or 7.4 × 1023 km). This would make the comoving volume, of the known universe, equal to 1.9 × 1033 cubic light years (assuming this region is perfectly spherical). The observable universe contains about 7 × 1022 stars, organized in about 10 billion galaxies, which themselves form clusters and superclusters. The number of galaxies may be even larger, based on the Hubble Deep Field observed with the Hubble Space Telescope."

This was what I was referring to in my first statement. And going by this I can assume that there probably isn’t an earth billions of light years away with someone that looks exactly me typing this question right now. As my understanding of infinity goes, then there is an infinite number of people that look like my typing what I am typing right now. That what is occurring at this millisecond has occurred at every millisecond to every exist and at an infinite amount of times.

Now going back to Mobius, I understand what your saying. But I still feel infinite possibilities in a certain system would cause destruction of that system? No?

No, your idea is correct... If our universe was infinite (in the sense of extent and time) then there would be another person like you typing the same thing as you are now, and another person like you typing something completely different and indeed an infinite number of 'yous' doing everything that is infinitly possible...

You see if anything has a non-zero probability of occuring in an infinite universe then it will occur an infinite number of times regardless of how small a chance.

It is known as "infinte replication". It is very controvercial. However if this is the case we would never observe it as it would be beyond our visible horizon of the universe.