cheap alternative platinium catalyst for nitric acid production

Hello everyone, first day first post on topic "alternative/cheap" platinum like catalyst catalyst ostwald process to produce nitric acid or to oxidize ammonia gas to nitrogen dioxide for making nitric acid. Platinum groups metal are so expensive, among them platinum is one of the most cheapest to buy, but other catalytic metals are more expensive then it.

I simply want to produce nitric acid by ostwald process but i don't have enough money to buy platinum, even if I had i wouldn't buy it. I am searching and looking for a cheap-easily available material to used as catalyst. I have read some articles and learnt from internet that I can also use pure hot copper or it's oxide, some says copper oxide is not efficient as copper metal, idkk, some also discussed that iron oxide can also be used as catalyst, but idk !! And some people also recommend using battery powder which is nothing but magnesium dioxide, it's easy accessible.

I have some nichrome wires, but I don't have power-supply-circuit to operate it ! Yeah I have 5 voots or 12 volt, 1 amp supply but to power the nichrome will require high amps or more higher volts, it's because my nichrome wire has higher resistance and jts thickk.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have read about platinum catalyst substitutes is in regard to fuel cells so not sure how any would work for what you are asking about but "they" are coming up with them. The problem is, I don't see ATM how a hunk of nickel encased in a sheath of nitrogen doped carbon fiber like this, https://engineering.wisc.edu/news/not-so-precious-new-discovery-could-replace-expensive-platinum-in-hydrogen-fuel-cells/ , would be any easier to get than the platinum.