Lithium Hydroxide to the Moon

Nikashla

I Hypothesize that when doing the experiment I will be able to determine the speed and light at which Lithium Hydroxide will combust when ignited. By doing so, this will help in determining whether lithium hydroxide is a great combination for the purpose of traveling at the speed of light. This low budget experiment will be the result of being able to determine a faster rate to travel in space. 

Budget is under $50

Supplies:

• Bowl

• Lithium

• Water 

• Lighter 

• Tweezer 

• Gloves

• Un-Inflammable gloves

• 8” x 8” Tarp

• Table top stove

• Pan/Pot

• Zip ties

• Plastic jar

• Tubes

• Recorder

The tarp, zip ties, gloves, and tweezer is for safety

The water and lithium create LIOH

The table top stove, pot/pan, plastic jar, and tubes will be used to create the steam to transfer into the jar when the LI is dropped in the pan/pot of water and heated. 

Experiment 1 Result:

Supplies:

• Bowl

• Lithium

• Water 

• Lighter 

• Tweezer 

• Gloves

• Un-Inflammable gloves

• 8” x 8” Tarp

• Zip ties

• Plastic jar

This experiment was safe by using the required supplies, however, the body part should be 5 feet away from the flammable experiment. The lithium reacted in the uncovered bowl of water by fizzling and producing gas. I later applied the lithium to react in the covered bowl of water that was also fizzling and producing gas and the gas transferred into the plastic jar. I removed the jar and covered it but noticed there was still a substantial amount of gas in the covered bowl. I took a lighter to see how the gas would react. The gas exploded creating a loud sound and red fumes ignite from the blow. I presume that less than a gram of Lithium was in that water at the time, However the water did have the remaining residue from the first lithium I put in the water. 

I should do the experiment again with fresh water (no residue) . I hypothesize the reaction should be less when inflamed.

I should do a separate experiment with boiling water so the gas can transfer into the plastic jar and I can do a controlled ignition with less blow. By doing this, I hypothesize the jar will not blow but instead be able to move in a linear direction.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:21 AM, Nikashla said:

I Hypothesize that when doing the experiment I will be able to determine the speed and light at which Lithium Hydroxide will combust when ignited. By doing so, this will help in determining whether lithium hydroxide is a great combination for the purpose of traveling at the speed of light. This low budget experiment will be the result of being able to determine a faster rate to travel in space. 

Budget is under $50

Supplies:

• Bowl

• Lithium

• Water 

• Lighter 

• Tweezer 

• Gloves

• Un-Inflammable gloves

• 8” x 8” Tarp

• Table top stove

• Pan/Pot

• Zip ties

• Plastic jar

• Tubes

• Recorder

The tarp, zip ties, gloves, and tweezer is for safety

The water and lithium create LIOH

The table top stove, pot/pan, plastic jar, and tubes will be used to create the steam to transfer into the jar when the LI is dropped in the pan/pot of water and heated. 

Experiment 1 Result:

Supplies:

• Bowl

• Lithium

• Water 

• Lighter 

• Tweezer 

• Gloves

• Un-Inflammable gloves

• 8” x 8” Tarp

• Zip ties

• Plastic jar

This experiment was safe by using the required supplies, however, the body part should be 5 feet away from the flammable experiment. The lithium reacted in the uncovered bowl of water by fizzling and producing gas. I later applied the lithium to react in the covered bowl of water that was also fizzling and producing gas and the gas transferred into the plastic jar. I removed the jar and covered it but noticed there was still a substantial amount of gas in the covered bowl. I took a lighter to see how the gas would react. The gas exploded creating a loud sound and red fumes ignite from the blow. I presume that less than a gram of Lithium was in that water at the time, However the water did have the remaining residue from the first lithium I put in the water. 

I should do the experiment again with fresh water (no residue) . I hypothesize the reaction should be less when inflamed.

I should do a separate experiment with boiling water so the gas can transfer into the plastic jar and I can do a controlled ignition with less blow. By doing this, I hypothesize the jar will not blow but instead be able to move in a linear direction.

Your first post seems quite crazy. Travel at anything close to the speed of light is not practicable, whatever the fuel used.

Your second one however is more grounded in reality and can be commented upon. The gas produced is hydrogen, reduced from water by the readily donated electron in lithium metal. The red colour is characteristic of Li in flame tests. You are evidently heating it enough by igniting the hydrogen to excite some Li atoms so that they radiate at their characteristic wavelength.

Your experiment sounds potentially quite dangerous, by the way. A plastic jar is certainly a better idea than glass, at least. I hope you wear a safety visor when doing this to protect your eyes. It will go faster with boiling water, perhaps dangerously so.