Would you choose physics over electronics?

Morpheus

To the core, aren't electronics based on physics?

I think this depends on your overall academic and/or career goals. What is your major in college and what do you plan to achieve in college? I would choose first/second year courses based on whether they will provide me with the proper fundamentals to pursue the more advanced topics in my final years.

To the core' date=' aren't electronics based on physics?[/quote']

Yes, but you have to understand that electronics is a "branch" of physics the same way chemistry is a branch of physics dealing with valence electrons and molecular interactions/kinetics. The branch is so vast that the knowledge of fundamental physics alone is not adequate. You are reaching into the topic of technology. A physicist can tell you how an airplane works, but it would be hard for him to lay out details of how to build one so that it does work and not crash! That's what technology is about. There are many skills you need to learn including circuit analysis and understanding the characteristics of electronic components which are easier understood in their own department rather than derived purely from the physics.

• 2 months later...
I think this depends on your overall academic and/or career goals. What is your major in college and what do you plan to achieve in college? I would choose first/second year courses based on whether they will provide me with the proper fundamentals to pursue the more advanced topics in my final years.

Yes' date=' but you have to understand that electronics is a "branch" of physics the same way chemistry is a branch of physics dealing with valence electrons and molecular interactions/kinetics. The branch is so vast that the knowledge of fundamental physics alone is not adequate. You are reaching into the topic of technology. A physicist can tell you how an airplane works, but it would be hard for him to lay out details of how to build one so that it does work and not crash! That's what technology is about. There are many skills you need to learn including circuit analysis and understanding the characteristics of electronic components which are easier understood in their own department rather than derived purely from the physics.[/quote']

Like he says, electronics is a branch of Physics, and I found it to be damned boring after a few years, unless you get into research. If I had it to do over, and had the chance to go to college right after high school, I would have studied as much physics as I could until I found the branch that interests me.