The relation between cancer and some viruses

noha

Hello,

I'm working on Microbiology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) and I came up with the following sentence which seems unclear to me

The induction of cancer is indirect, with the involvement of a specific viral gene (gene X) affecting the expression of genes in the host cells that control cell division.

does the second sentence (with the involvement of ...) is an explanation why  the induction is indirect?

Here is the full context:

The link between persistent infection with hepatitis B virus and cancer is clear from epidemiological studies showing that countries where the infection is most prevalent also show a high incidence of liver cancer.
When the virus is active it destroys liver cells and causes inflammation.
The induction of cancer is indirect, with the involvement of a specific viral gene (gene X) affecting the expression of genes in the host cells that control cell division.

3 hours ago, noha said:

I would interpret the statement as saying that the virus is not the direct cause of liver cancer. Instead it damages a gene in a liver cell that tells the cell when to stop growing so the cell keeps growing out of control and that is cancer.