which SAT-II tests to take?

albertlee

You need one to three for many universities, and the ones you take depend on what yuo are going to major in. For example, someone who wants to major in Physics is dvised to take an SAT-II in physics, but not one in English.

I think the best way to go is to check with the schools you are interested in. Not all schools are going to want the same tests for the same major. You could check the college board website but I doubt that they will give you a clear answer. The only way to guarantee you take the right tests is to contact the schools.

Universities will generally require applicants to submit scores for three SAT-II exams. They will generally require the Writing subject test, the Math subject test (the Math IIc test is highly recommended, or even required at some universities, especially if one plans on majoring in math, science, or engineering). The third test is genrally up to the choice of the applicant. For the thrid test, I would recommend taking the test in a recently completed course in which you performed well. I would also recommend taking multiple subject tests for the third because universities will generally accept your highest score (although check with your university's policies to see if they penalize you for repeating tests, or if they accept scores from the same sitting only).

Actually, I don't think any universities require any particular SAT-II, only a certain number. And its only Harvard, Yale, MIT, ect. that require three. It looks better to have three, but two high ones and one low one looks worse than two high ones.

Please disregard my earlier post. That was how admissions used to be when I was applying (back when the SAT-I had no writing component). Now that the SAT-I includes a writing component, many schools have changed their admissions policies regarding the SAT-II subject exams. Sorry.

alright,

I have visited my school's website, under the university advisory bit... Since my school is an International School instead of American School, for the US university, it says to take either SAT or ACT, in addition of my school's transcript, which of course is widely accepted around the globe.......

so in overall, does international/non-US student have to take SAT-II??

I took them last year, and I took the Bio and US histroy ones. I took practice tests online from the college board website. The first one you take is free, then you have to pay (so you might want to make more then one account ;-)

I'm sure they have writing samples on them too. If not, then they are probably available for purchase at any bookstores that sell SAT prep books. (Princeton review, Barrons, etc.)

If you don't want to pay, then maybe your school library or public library has something, or perhaps something in the guidance office at your school.

yes, ecoli, I know there are samples from College Board for sat subject tests, but just irritatingly, there's none for Writing.

if you check

1) http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/lc_two/practice_questions.html

or

2) http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/lc_two/writ/writ.html?writ

you see no sample for Writing on College Board....

or you have found them somewhere on College Board??

plz help

thx

There used to be a SAT-II test for writing, but I don't think there is anymore. Previously, there was no writing portion on the SAT-I, so the College Board offered a writing exam in the form of an SAT-II exam. Now that the SAT-I includes a writing portion, there is no need for the SAT-II writing exam.