Relative Immortality?

ForumIsDead

First off, I'm new to the forums an my expertise in most feilds of science are extremely limited, never-the-less i'm on here mainly to learn and discuss, because I think it's fun.

Secondly, I wanted to ask the lot of you a question regarding relative immortality aside from violent death. This would be from the Cellular level outward. I.E. stopping the cell decay in constant reproduction, so that every cell reproduced in all our tissues is reproduced at 100% just as the one before it, so that our bodies would for lack of a better phrase, "never age". Is this possible now in a completely complimentary enviroment? Or would genetic changes have to be made? And would things such as toxins, U.V. light, and other detrimental sources linked to cell decay be a factor to constant 100% cell reproduction?

Well cellular immortality is possible in theory, but not necessarily the way you described it.

You said, and it's a great idea, that there should be a mechanism made to make each cell clone as good as the original -- that way there would be no degradation.

Well that may be inherently impossible because by virture of divisions, we age. Think about it, what you're saying is that as we age the daughter cells we produce are automatically deformed a bit and so on till death -- that's illogical because we know each daughter cell is just like the original (exempting mutations).

There is a way, however, to create immortality. Telomerase is an enzyme that controls the ends of DNA, called telomeres. After each cell division the telomeres become shorter, and when they reach a critical (read: short) length the cell undergoes senescence (cell death basically). Telomerase's job is to lengthen telomeres, to add more telomeric repeats. Telomerase is normally off in somatic (normal) cells, but if we could turn it on cellular immortality would be, theoretically, possible.

Well I think quoting a book that is several thousand years old and has been translated and retranslated dozens of times and not expecting a typo a bit optimistic.

But in any case, no because we would have to turn telomerase on. I think Methuselah wasn't as good as we are in biotech.

There is a way, however, to create immortality. Telomerase is an enzyme that controls the ends of DNA, called telomeres. After each cell division the telomeres become shorter, and when they reach a critical (read: short) length the cell undergoes senescence (cell death basically). Telomerase's job is to lengthen telomeres, to add more telomeric repeats. Telomerase is normally off in somatic (normal) cells, but if we could turn it on cellular immortality would be, theoretically, possible.

:) Great, I'm going to do some research now on Telomerase. something I havn't been exposed to yet in any of my previous classes. Thanks for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Telomerase only gives your cells immortality not yourself.

From what I have read the telomerase gene is one of the key genes needed for cancer to proliferate, so this makes telomerase inhibition actually quite a potent anti-cancer technique (Geron is heavily studying this) and over expression of telomerase potentially a life shortening therapy.

Though I think there is a correlation between longer tolemere length and age so potentially expressing it transiently might give an extension, though I would feel safer coupling this with increased dna repair mechanism.

Have a look at the following link for some techniques which could potentially extend life span.

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/

Well cellular immortality is possible in theory' date=' but not necessarily the way you described it.

You said, and it's a great idea, that there should be a mechanism made to make each cell clone as good as the original -- that way there would be no degradation.

Well that may be inherently impossible because by virture of divisions, we age. Think about it, what you're saying is that as we age the daughter cells we produce are automatically deformed a bit and so on till death -- that's illogical because we know each daughter cell is just like the original (exempting mutations).

There is a way, however, to create immortality. Telomerase is an enzyme that controls the ends of DNA, called telomeres. After each cell division the telomeres become shorter, and when they reach a critical (read: short) length the cell undergoes senescence (cell death basically). Telomerase's job is to lengthen telomeres, to add more telomeric repeats. Telomerase is normally off in somatic (normal) cells, but if we could turn it on cellular immortality would be, theoretically, possible.[/quote']

so you stating what this post is about man, if it is an exact copy that means the telomerase will have to be exactly the same aslo :mad:

How do you differentiate between you and the cells that make you up?

Just because one of your cells is having a good day doesn't mean the rest of them will be. Cancer is exactly that, one cell having become effectively immortal and duplicating constantly, disrupting the function of your other cells until you die.

In case its not clear, in the context of telomerase cellular immortality doesn't mean that the cell lasts forever, it means that the cell can duplicate itself indefinitely.

You can put a bunch of your cells in a petri dish and grow them indefinitely by activating the telomerase gene, but do the same in your body and you will just have removed one of the blocks to cancer.