online essay checker

Guest fazed

Guest fazed

is there any available software or algorithm to check essy papers? if there isn't how do you think it can be done?

thanks

If you want to check your spelling and/or grammar just use Word or some online dictionary.

If, on the other hand, you mean check that your essay is "correct" then it's most unlikely that one exists - you'd be talking about a system with VERY advanced AI, an encyclopaedic knowledge of every known subject and text, and the ability to analyse and apply the relevant knowledge to an abstract piece of information (not to mention a host of other obstacles). So it's also highly unlikely that one could be built.

Originally posted by fazed

is there any available software or algorithm to check essy papers? if there isn't how do you think it can be done?

thanks

Beyond spelling and grammar, I doubt it. More to the point, there is no point. Tutors don't want to be assessing the eficacy of some online system, they want to assess your work. If you write something, and have it checked and corrected by a third-party, then the tutor will not be assessing your work; any errors you made in the original will not be there, the tutor won't get to correct them, nor provide appropriate feedback and you will learn nothing.

Surely it would be of more value to you in the long term to put a little effort in now? Do the reading and learn to express your ideas in text without some piece of technology (or some third-party) doing it all for you. That way, you will at least have earned whatever grade/feedback you get.

Of course there's a gap in the market; all those students who can't be bothered to check their own work. But in my opinion, it's a gap that really shouldn't be filled. Tutors are already fed up with being presented with downloaded essays which have been (poorly) adapted in an attempt to make them relevant to the work the students were assigned. However these are relatively easy to detect (due in no small part to the American spelling).

The last thing tutors need is a system which 'improves' the students own work (a kind of e-plagiarism if you think about it). It's bad enough that many students can't even use a spell checker properly (where 'Dear Sir or Madam', and 'Dead Sod or Moron' are equally acceptable), and can't be arsed to proofread. I can't see any benefit to students in gravitating toward a system where ultimately, all they need to do is type in an appropriate title and some online system writes the bloody thing for them.

When I was at university they considered such services to be a form of plagiarism. If students want to be lazy and refuse responsibility for their own work, let them. The consequences will be a valuable lesson. :D

They still consider it a form of plagiarism. Unfortunately, where students want to be that lazy and refuse responsibility, you can't really just 'let them'. I do agree in principle, but you have to catch the little buggers first. The onus is on the tutor to produce evidence of plagiarism. In suspected cases, the tutor has 5 days to track down the original source(s). Sometimes this can be as simple as a Google search, other times it means trawling loads of gateways, and trips to the library. This is a waste of the tutors' time, but the only other option is to allow the work through (which would be unfair to other students).

Students are becoming a lot more sophisticated in the methods they employ to cheat. It's like Mission: Impossible sometimes. Pens with digital recording capabilities etc., and I just think that the increasing number of 'buy your essays here' and other such designed to help students avoid any kind of actual work (or more importantly, actual learning) is completely out of order.

Guest fazed

thanks for all your replies, but the focus of my study is to provide educators with a tool to help them in checking essay papers of students and not to help students in improving their work or plagiarism. i really appreciate your opinions and it has given me some insights on how to tackle the topic.

i was thinking of incorporating the principle used by ms word to check for grammar and spelling and employing a pattern algorithm that will correspond to keywords, or their synonyms, that should be present in the essay.

thanks again:)