Question Help

I am currently involved in creating a role playing game. The game is set in the future. The basics are as follows…

I meteor hits the earth little survives. It brings with it the materials needed to once again spurt the evolutionary process. Man does survive but depending on how, evolves into 4 different species. I need the scientific name for these species. I have tried to do this myself but I am trying to make the game as “scientifically correct” as possible. I do not want to be wrong. Here are the English meanings for the names I need.

Rocky Skin Man

Underworld Forest man

The Surviving Wise Man (closest to us)

The Little Stealing Man

Any help would be nice.

If anybody knows of web sites that would help in the possible condition of the earth millions of years from now and possible evolutions of man that would be nice to.

The terminology is in Latin, with the genus first and the species second.

Homo sapiens= man wise

So all of your names should start with Homo

If the man's name was forest man he would be: Homo silva

The use of a third word is for subspecies. So if there were two different kinds of forest man you would have: Homo silva sapiens and Hom silva erectus

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=latin+translator&btnG=Google+Search

Thank You

Underworld forest man would be called Homo infra silva, meaning an human that lives in a underground forest. Rocky skin man also lives under ground, to be correct I should call him Homo infra silex. (Underworld stone man)

Homo raptor for stealing man makes for a very interesting concept.

Here is another question for anyone interested.

What would be a good way to scientificaly say Human-like?

For example: A toad evolves into a human-like creature

the sci name for toad is Bufo

To show that a toad is like us would I call it a Bufo sapien or give it a name like Bofo hominus exequo, meaning Human like toad?

It is for a role-playing game. I cannot give the title away just yet because all the copyright legal junk. It uses the OGL provided by Wizards of The Coast. It was inspired by two TV shows, The Future Is Wild (Animal Planet) & Alien Planet (Discovery Channel).

The idea is that a meteor explodes in earth's atmosphere destroying modern day civilization, but did not wipe out all of humanity. Game play is set in a world 250 million years in the future upon Pangea Ultima. You play evolved intelligent creatures including some strange species of man.

If interested I will post on in this thread when the game is ready, but don’t expected it soon. I am more a artist then a writer.

AND MOSTLY NOT A SCIENTIST! :(

That sounds great, but can you mix Latin and Greek like that?

AFAIK, Linnaean names only need to be Latinized, or in other words to sound Latin. Sometimes other elements are mixed in as well. For instance a person's name can be mixed in and organism's Linnaean name (like Galeocerdo cuvieri, you can see Georges Cuvier's name in the tiger shark's latin name) or sometimes the place the organism is from or was found, such as Cryptobranchus alleganiensis, the hellbender, which can be found in the Allegheny region of the United States. So I suppose it is okay to mix Greek and Latin, if I can think of any examples of this I will post them.

Having studied both languages, I would find 'Bufo anthropus' annoying. Unless the Greek term is used specifically to differentiate the species from the 'true' human genus. OK, just work that into the game booklet.

Bufo anthropomorphous or anthropus and all other human-like critters have been set on the back burner. My freinds, also my play-testers, have reminded me that I have much more work to do. Adding something new right now would slow me down.

for now I have Homo infra silva, Homo infra silex, Homo sapiens supero and though I was trying to call it something else everyone likes Homo microraptor.