commissurotomy

I am involved in a bit of a discussion with someone about the corpus callosum, and the effects of severing it (commissurotomy). The thing is I don't really know much about it, does anyone know of any good articles or studies that I can find. I have looked around on the internet a bit, but I can't easily find anything of interest or any detailed studies on psychological effects. the main focus of the discussion is if the two brains become two quasi-seperate people or not.

I remember reading about this a while back. If I remember correctly the procedure was performed on a guy who'd been having serious seizures for about 12 years. Post-op, I think that the seizures stopped without the interference of medication and he was able to function normally.

Look for stuff by/on Roger Sperry if you haven't already. He did alot of work on patients who had the corpus collosum severed as a treatment for severe epilepsy. His work highlighted the differences in function of each side of the brain. Found a nice site which has all his papers in pdf format.

Click here