Is creating a virus that targets reproductive system feasible?

greatscams

I finished reading a Dan Brown book called Inferno, in which a madman decides to create and propagate a human created virus that targets human's reproductive system and renders them sterile through the water system in Istanbul. Is creating such a virus possible with modern day understanding of genetic engineering, and how effective would such a virus be? Assuming its spread to be as much as of the current pandemic, how much could the virus decrease the population increase rate?

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 5:42 AM, greatscams said:

I finished reading a Dan Brown book called Inferno, in which a madman decides to create and propagate a human created virus that targets human's reproductive system and renders them sterile through the water system in Istanbul. Is creating such a virus possible with modern day understanding of genetic engineering, and how effective would such a virus be? Assuming its spread to be as much as of the current pandemic, how much could the virus decrease the population increase rate?

Not sure but I am 100 percent sure that there are already vaccines that target reproduction

• 5 months later...