Hitchens bashes the PC crowd again (woot)

Pangloss

Gotta hand it to the old curmudgeon -- he knows how to point out hypocrisy. It makes me all a-tingly.

For day after day last month I could not escape the news of the gigantic "Live 8" enterprise, which urged governments to do more along existing lines by way of debt relief and aid for Africa. Isn't there a single drop of solidarity and compassion left over for the people of Iraq, after three decades of tyranny, war, and sanctions and now an assault from the vilest movement on the face of the planet? Unless someone gives me a persuasive reason to think otherwise, my provisional conclusion is that the human rights and charitable "communities" have taken a pass on Iraq for political reasons that are not very creditable. And so we watch with detached curiosity, from dry land, to see whether the Iraqis will sink or swim. For shame.

Full story here: (Non-subscription, yay!)

http://www.slate.com/id/2124157/

The US and the "coalition" is there in full force to rebuild the nation. Why do they need anyone else? :)

My thoughts exactly........I just see this as trying to find hypocrisy where there is none. Just because 99% of the USA's foreign policy is based on Iraq, doesn't mean the rest of the thinking world needs to ignore the plight of those in Africa.

What the heck? Where does he suggest that anybody should ignore the plight of those in Africa?

Yeesh.

What about cancer, heart-disease, etc. What about dogs in Korea? People do this all the time. Someone tries to do some good and they just whine and complain. He should shut-up and go help the soldiers in Iraq.

The left does the same by saying why didn't we invade/do something about this country or that. Just because you don't fix EVERYTHING, doesn't mean you can't do ANYTHING. :)

Sure, there are lots of problems. But again, where does he suggest that we should ignore the plight of those in Africa? And where does he say that we have to fix "everything"?

Oy, we need to have some lessons on debate around here or something.

Unless someone gives me a persuasive reason to think otherwise, my provisional conclusion is that the human rights and charitable "communities" have taken a pass on Iraq for political reasons that are not very creditable. And so we watch with detached curiosity, from dry land, to see whether the Iraqis will sink or swim. For shame.

Is he attacking anyone here for not doing something? I could just as easily say that the human rights crowd took a pass on Russian school children or people starving in Korea.

So, just because this A-Hole thinks they aren't doing what he thinks they should doesn't mean anything. It is a stupid comment not worthy of a thread.

There are many charities that operate in Iraq, as well as human rights groups like Amnesty. Aid workers have been kidnapped working there, Margaret Hassan of CARE as killed. It seems either ignorant or disrespectful to claim that these groups have taken a pass on Iraq.

I don't really understand. Live 8 was Midge Ure and Bob Geldofs second attempt at alleviating the famine and distress in Africa. The first attempt, Live Aid in 1985, was focused on gaining funds. This one was focused on dropping the Debt and increasing aid to Africa, something that was quickly achieved. I'd like to think that the G8 summit would have done this independantly, without the need for popstars to voice a bizzare political opinion, but in reality I think they did need pressure to reach that decision.

As neither Midge Ure or Bob Geldof spoke out against the war in Iraq (indeed, both are supporters of Tony Blair) or in any way referenced the situation, I don't see why this Christopher Hitchens is suggesting that they should have focused on Iraq when there was a debate over the legitimacy of the War. His logic seems to be inconsitant: -

1) People spoke out against the Iraq war, I'll label them PC liberals as it makes it simpler to dismiss those opinions.

2) People spoke out about the fact that one person dies every 4 seconds* in Africa. That sound like liberal talk to me, it must be the self same hippies.

3) Oh God, I've got to put some disjointed and ill researched opinion into my article before my 4pm deadline

4) Damn liberals.

5) Arrrggg

Hitchens is saying that any charitable enterprise not involving Iraq is hypocritical, as there was no charitable drive to declare war on Iraq. I find that idea inconsistant, as for the life of me I can't imagine any institution campaigning for a 'charitable' war. Even if I was an active campaigner for the war in Iraq, my other commitments would not be suspended and my other charitable interestrest would not be put on hold.

Basically, Midge Ure and Bob Geldofs Live 8 was a rather odd and annoying way of alleviating the horrible situation in Africa, while giving massive publicity to popstars, and that all there was too it. If Christopher Hitchens doesn't like it he should just learn to live with it, and not cry about the unfairness of it all.

*I think, I didn't really listen

Oh yes. Personally I think Bob Geldof is a hypocritical millionaire faux hippy who can afford to preach from an overtly moral position simply because he has the support of pop stars who don't have the intelligence to realise the absurdity of a group of multi millionaire loafers campaigning for taxpayers to pay off African poverty.

And as for Mr Bono, 'Cui bono' is latin for 'who benefits?'. Apt for an ailing billionaire pop singer who thinks that dropping a corrupt third world governments debt will somehow magically alleviate all the problems in Africa.

But, that's just my view I guess.

Oh yes. Personally I think Bob Geldof is a hypocritical millionaire faux hippy who can afford to preach from an overtly moral position simply because he has the support of pop stars who don't have the intelligence to realise the absurdity of a group of multi millionaire loafers campaigning for taxpayers to pay off African poverty.

And as for Mr Bono' date=' 'Cui bono' is latin for 'who benefits?'. Apt for an ailing billionaire pop singer who thinks that dropping a corrupt third world governments debt will somehow magically alleviate all the problems in Africa.

But, that's just my view I guess.[/quote']

I think Bono is a rather smart person. He is trying to work with the system, instead of just complaining. Africa may indeed be worse of years from now, but that doesn't negate the help brought today and tomorrow. To get governments involved is an excellent idea.