Hypothesis

positron

about twenty five dollars plus tax. my general rate is $150/hr.

Okay seriously: A prediction comes from a hypothesis. It is usually a corollary or implication of a given hypothesis or theory.

The hypothesis itself may not involve a physical prediction directly. As an example, the electromagnetic field. Originally constructed to allow physical predictions, its very existance beyond simply as a construction in a given theory is in question. In the 19th century when physicists sought mechanistic and deterministic explanations for everything, the 'field' was considered real, and a property of the 'aether'. After Einstein's reformulation of electromagnetics (Special Relativity) the aether 'faded' in importance, and the 'field' was reduced to the status of a mathematical construction. The predictions of the hypothesis (SR) would be that the 'speed of light' would remain a constant in any inertial frame (at any given speed of the measuring device).

Here's a cheaper version of the difference between the two:

Problem: I find holes all over my lawn every morning.

Hypothesis: It's an armadillo hunting for grubs

Prediction of hyp: If it really is an armadillo, erecting a firm wall around my yard will either prevent it from entering (resulting in a cessation of holes) or will result in armadillo-sized holes under the fence where it burrowed in to enter.

Hypothesis two: it's a mole

Predition two: the fence will have no effect, nor will it be disturbed.

Experiment: erect the fence, see what happens. Depending on the results, you can reject one of the two hypotheses.

Of course, you don't always *need* two hypotheses, it just makes for a very neat, well-formed test (especially if mutually exclusive) that will be accepted to journals with the minimum of fuss.

Mokele