Heavy water density.

Kermit

Deuterium performs very slightly differently than protium (normal hydrogen) does in chemical reactions. It's not anything really marked, but it is noticeable. If there's enough deuterium in your body to replace a large proportion of the normal hydrogen atoms, it can alter the chemistry enough to make you pretty sick as it slows down chemical processes essential to life. Again though, you need to take in a large amount of the stuff.

why is heavy water toxic? does it hamber chemical processes of something?
If you had bothered to read the link I provided you would have found (under the sub-heading Health) the following:

"Heavy water is not considered toxic, but some metabolic reactions require normal ("light") water, so consumption of exclusively heavy water can cause illness. In particular, the substitution of hydrogen by deuterium interferes with stereo-specific organic reactions."

I've googled for you, I've extracted text for you. Do you want me to do your thinking for you?

how exactly is heavy water used in the creation of atomic bombs? i was watching some national geographic "untold stories of WWII" and it was talking about this factory in norway (i think) that the germans captured and used to create heavy water. Apparently it was vital to the allies that it be destroyed, and it took 3 attemps through conventional bombing and commandos on skis. Interesting story though. But what exactly are its uses?

isn`t it also used as a jacket around a normal A bomb to make it into a H bomb, or something like that?

You've got it backwards there. Successful fusion requires such high temperatures and pressures that we simply cannot achieve those criteria without the use of another bomb. In order for successful fusion to occur in a bomb, nuclear fission has to take place first. The fission provides enough heat and pressure to fuse together the lighter isotopes and create a fusion reaction. So every 'hydrogen bomb' out there is triggered by the detonation of a fission bomb which then sets off the fusion process. So in actuality, the fusion fuel is surrounded by the fission device. When the fission bomb detonates, it creates the conditions needed for the fusion to take place.

That second link seems very 'not right' to me. If tritium was that damned lethal and that expensive, there's no way in hell you'd see any of those trasers out there which have a tritium based 'core' which gives off the electrons needed by the phosphorescent coating. With the lethality and cost that is explained in that article, it would make those keychains incredibly deadly and outrageously expensive. It's proposterous to think that tritium is that dangerous as once it has decayed it becomes helium. So the only radiation it gives off is from it's own decay. The problem would be in the form of tritium oxides as it can then be better absorbed by our bodies. Still, I think that second link really exaggerates things.