simple relativity question

Sarahisme

just checkin that my mind is working in the right way....

i would say passeenger B measures:

A: 39.2 m

B: 91.9 m

do peoples agree with me? :)

-Sarah

Yes.. using the length contraction equation, those are the answers I got.

A= 39.2 m

B= 91.9 m

You see this is what I calculated.

I thought that 0.92c was 0.92 percent

of 100, so being that c is 186000 miles

per second. I divide 0.92 which I thought

became to be 92. Then dividing 92 by 186000

equaling 2021.73 miles per second. This

wasent what I thought right away mind you.

The reason I said (A): equals 100 and (b)

equals 36, cause I figured that it was

plainly spelled out. So, at 2021.73 miles per second

probobley would stretch the space ships a bit,

If thats what you mean.

How did you people get your answers?

... we got our answers by as losfomot said

Which directly leads me to the point why I was a bit disappointed about this thread: Why didn´t YOU say how you derived your result? I mean: It´s ok if you ask for help on homework and it´s great that you already have some results and just want them checked. But for the future (or here, "I used length contraction" is quite a lose description of how you derived your numbers) it would be great if you´d add the steps that led you to your results.

Imho there are a lot of people in this forum who can tell you if your calculations are correct with just one look at your steps. But I´m not sure if all of them want to search for a pocket calculator just for a "your numbers are correct/incorrect" answer. At least, I don´t want to (and I wouldn´t even know where my calc is :P).

You have to multiply one of the lengths by the length contraction factor and divide the other one by it. Dunno if your numbers are correct.

I used the calculator in my Windows operating system.

I think you have to calculate both lengths because

its says "relative". meaning: in relation to other. And

that would mean there moving at the same speed (92c),

and if they are at different lengths and if using the

"length contraction equation" (which I havent looked up

on how I could use it), will affect the question.

Which directly leads me to the point why I was a bit disappointed about this thread: Why didn´t YOU say how you derived your result? I mean: It´s ok if you ask for help on homework and it´s great that you already have some results and just want them checked. But for the future (or here' date=' "I used length contraction" is quite a lose description of how you derived your numbers) it would be great if you´d add the steps that led you to your results.

Imho there are a lot of people in this forum who can tell you if your calculations are correct with just one look at your steps. But I´m not sure if all of them want to search for a pocket calculator just for a "your numbers are correct/incorrect" answer. At least, I don´t want to (and I wouldn´t even know where my calc is :P).

You have to multiply one of the lengths by the length contraction factor and divide the other one by it. Dunno if your numbers are correct.[/quote']

fair enough, i see your point. i will try to do this in the future :)