Philosophy should have it's own Area.

Philosophy and Religion do not come under the same umbrella.

They should be able to each have their own areas on the board.

Sharing the same space confuses the two seperate subjects.

Any one second this? Should they get their own area.

Does it matter?

Eon.

Ok. I was kiddin, but you know the difference. :rolleyes:

google it.

Dictionary.com it

Wikipedia it.

Call or visit and talk to an outstanding professor of philosophy about the difference.

Call and talk to an outstanding theologian about the difference.

OR

Even talk to a very thoughtful physicist about the difference.

If your being funny then I'll reply they are spelled differently.

If you are being serious then I don't know what to say.

Peace,

Eon.

PS. Nice avatar....cute... I'm still looking for a funny one. :D

So you really need someone to tell you this?

With great respect I think it's clear that

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism,

Buddhism, and the other major world religions out there

have little to do with the philosophers,

Hobbes: great modern materialist and political theorist (social contract).

Locke: moderate empiricist and political theorist, influenced American "Founding Fathers".

Hume: Radical empiricist,

Critic of religion; also famous during his lifetime as a historian.

Kant: Famous for his argument that mind shapes reality, and his ethical theory that emphasized reason, duty and rights over desires (major rival to Utilitarianism). Also famous for his jargon, formidable writing style.

Hegel: German system builder, emphasized historical development of thought.

Mill: English genius who wrote about logic, language and math, political theory, science, ethics . Known for development of Utilitarian theory in ethics and his arguments on behalf of freedom of press/speech.

Nietszche: famous relativist, critic of Christian ethics.

William James: great American psychologist and philosopher, proponent of pragmatism and concept analysis.

Russell: worked in all areas of philosophy. Famous for emphasizing analysis; influential critic of Hegelian philosophy, important philosopher of logic and mathematics. Political activist. Prolific writer.

Wittgenstein: brilliant student of Russell, focussed on language and knowledge (also aeronautical engineer and amateur architect)

Carnap: influential scientific empiricist. Emigrated from Austria to U.S.

Sartre: French Existentialist, novelist, became a Marxist

Quine: influential Harvard empiricist, logician, behaviorist and pragmatist. Polished writer.

Jerry Fodor (CUNY, Rutgers): focusses on philosophy of language; famous for his Language of Thought theory. Entertaining writing style.

Saul Kripke (Princeton): has focussed on philosophy of language and modal logic. Very clear writer.

John Searle (Berkeley): works in philosophy of language and mind; critic of French "deconstructionism" and of artificial intelligence. Also very clear writer.

So what do you think?

Are they the same?

We're not even scratching the surface of the differences.

Not even the surface of the surface. LOL. :D

But is that fair enough?

Do you have an opinion?

I think you're well educated.

I think you can form one for yourself.

I've given you a start.

Extrapolate, and good luck.

Then let me know what you think?

What do you think about how they are the same or different?

Best to you,

Eon.

PS. I've had my turn.

If there were a religion forum and a philosophy forum, then:

where would buddaism go?

where would athiesm go?

where would spirituality go?

where would religiouse philosophy go?

Where would philosophical questions about the nature of religion go?

If it were a philosophical question relating to religion then it could go into religion.

If it were a philosophical question relating to politics, or economics, or language, or a non-religious topic then it would go into the philosophy section.

It was just a suggestion.

If there is no consensus, and/or no one thinks they are different

then there is no forum.

No problem. This is called the comments and

suggestions section right? So I made a suggestion. :D

Apparently,

Religion and philosophy are the same or very similar to most.

The posters so far, totally disagree with any

need to have a separate section, so it's a non-issue. :)

No need for a separate forum.

Suggestion rejected. Fair enough.

Best to all,

Eon.

PS.

atinymonkey wrote: Neither are science subjects, and this is a science forum. It would pervert the forum if other, unrelated, subjects proliferated. I hope that answers your question.

This is fair enough, (because this IS a science forum) but then why do you have a philosophy and religion section at all? (IMO . It's a good section and it's the 4th largest section on scienceforums.net by number of posts. 12,000 plus posts and "many a MOD" and many board members and scientists post there with something to say. So it's important.)

Still the matter is settled. The majority of posters so far imply that there is little or no difference between the two and to create a separate section would pervert the forum. OK. I can accept that opinion.

Honestly, it's majority consensus. (with mods as the last word)

It has to serve everyone.

It has to be deemed necessary by popular demand.

Like the debate forum.

So I really am cool about it.

This is a fantastic science forum. It's all good. :)

:D

So you really need someone to tell you this?

With great respect I think it's clear that

Christianity' date=' Judaism, Islam, Hinduism,

Buddhism, and the other major world religions out there

have little to do with the philosophers,

[b']Hobbes[/b]: great modern materialist and political theorist (social contract).

Locke: moderate empiricist and political theorist, influenced American "Founding Fathers".

Hume: Radical empiricist,

Critic of religion; also famous during his lifetime as a historian.

Kant: Famous for his argument that mind shapes reality, and his ethical theory that emphasized reason, duty and rights over desires (major rival to Utilitarianism). Also famous for his jargon, formidable writing style.

Hegel: German system builder, emphasized historical development of thought.

Mill: English genius who wrote about logic, language and math, political theory, science, ethics . Known for development of Utilitarian theory in ethics and his arguments on behalf of freedom of press/speech.

Nietszche: famous relativist, critic of Christian ethics.

William James: great American psychologist and philosopher, proponent of pragmatism and concept analysis.

Russell: worked in all areas of philosophy. Famous for emphasizing analysis; influential critic of Hegelian philosophy, important philosopher of logic and mathematics. Political activist. Prolific writer.

Wittgenstein: brilliant student of Russell, focussed on language and knowledge (also aeronautical engineer and amateur architect)

Carnap: influential scientific empiricist. Emigrated from Austria to U.S.

Sartre: French Existentialist, novelist, became a Marxist

Quine: influential Harvard empiricist, logician, behaviorist and pragmatist. Polished writer.

Jerry Fodor (CUNY, Rutgers): focusses on philosophy of language; famous for his Language of Thought theory. Entertaining writing style.

Saul Kripke (Princeton): has focussed on philosophy of language and modal logic. Very clear writer.

John Searle (Berkeley): works in philosophy of language and mind; critic of French "deconstructionism" and of artificial intelligence. Also very clear writer.

So what do you think?

Are they the same?

We're not even scratching the surface of the differences.

Not even the surface of the surface. LOL. :D

But is that fair enough?

Eon - don't go away yet... I've always wanted to study philosophy, but never had the opportunity. I have some questions - perhaps you would reply if I started a thread in the "Religion and Philosophy" section.

For example:

"Nietszche:[/b] famous relativist, critic of Christian ethics."

I think I've heard Nietszche quoted more than anyone else - what does "relavist" mean?

What exactly is "philosophy"? I have always thought it entailed learning to think and analyze, is that right? How old must a person be before s/he can understand rudimentary concepts? (I always thought teaching a person to think was more important that throwing a lot of information at them to memorize - if they can think, they can read and learn many things on their own.)

This is fair enough' date=' (because this IS a science forum) but then why do you have a philosophy and religion section at all? [/quote']

We get many debates in science threads that degenerate into Creationist arguments, religious commentry or moral debates. Rather than delete the thread, they have an area they can be moved into.

It's also a bit of a break from the normal.

We get many debates in science threads that degenerate into Creationist arguments, religious commentry or moral debates. Rather than delete the thread, they have an area they can be moved into

EDIT: I've edited a doubt I had that was unimportant.

So...

I'm looking at the quote above and....

That's cool. I hear ya. Time for me to get a cup of tea.

peace and enjoy your day/night,

Eon. :)

"It's also a bit of a break from the normal."

that's cool. people need breaks.

Eon - don't go away yet... I've always wanted to study philosophy, but never had the opportunity. I have some questions - perhaps you would reply if I started a thread in the "Religion and Philosophy" section.

For example:

Quote:

"Nietszche: famous relativist, critic of Christian ethics."

I think I've heard Nietszche quoted more than anyone else - what does "relavist" mean?

What exactly is "philosophy"? I have always thought it entailed learning to think and analyze, is that right? How old must a person be before s/he can understand rudimentary concepts? (I always thought teaching a person to think was more important that throwing a lot of information at them to memorize - if they can think, they can read and learn many things on their own.)

I missed your post....

Ah....you asked some great questions....

Just give me a minute to read your post more closely and have a think.

EDITED TO ADD ==> And get that cup of tea...LOL :)