Have we prevented a 6th mass extinction?

Before I explain my point I just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not i am in the right place doing the right thing. This is the first post I have made on these forums and i just wanted to make sure that i am doing everything correct.

According to a carbon dioxide quantity estimate over 1.4 billion years ago there was 10 to 10,000 times as much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as there is today. In the 1880's Humans had the nice little idea to burn oil and coal to create energy for our cars and houses and lights and Cd players and air conditioners, and before that our planet was steadily losing its carbon dioxide to the ground. My question is, if we never came along and released the carbon dioxide from the ground would we have run out of carbon above ground and killed all living creatures? Obviously it would take a while for this to happen, some small microscopic bacteria may have survived in small pockets of carbon, or carbon that is exposed on the side of a mountain. But carbon is a necessary building block for all life that we know and if possible to live without would take far longer than the time given, to evolve out of the necessity for it. So are we our planets, or rather Earth life's heroes? I am not saying global warming and the burning of fossil fuel is a good thing, though it may be better for the animals on our planet. There are also many different ways that these oils get back into our environment such as oil pockets and volcanic burning of these oils and coals, and in these, after life's demise, might have lived small microorganisms beginning the process of evolving into smart creatures again.

CarbonDioxidequantityestimate: https://www.google.com/searchq=does+oil+naturally+leaks+into+the+ocean&rlz=1CADEAG_enUS811US811&oq=does+oil+naturally+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2.16759j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on