Static Electricity and CD Player

Mag

(I think this is the right place to put this)

Ok, so i have a TV in my room, and whenever its on and i put my hand or something near it, you can hear static electricity.

So, sometimes i put the TV on to play some games, and i have a Portable CD Player in my hand. Then i put the CD player on top of the tv, and the earphone wire hangs down, getting close/touching the screen - i can usually hear the static when it does that.

This time though, i did the same thing, but the static was louder, and my CD Player turned off.

I never learned Electricity in physics :(

So i was wondering, how was there enough from the TV to turn off the CD player?

First time its ever happend.

the On/Off on many of todays digital equipment is no longer a hardwired Switch, it`s often controlled by Logic.

these logic levels and the chips that use them often work in micro-amps, and so a spurious voltage on a line can easily "trip" a Logic 1 state to a logic 0 state, thus turning the device off, sometimes it can do other things depending on the application.

I have a radio in my shed, it has a sleep and wake-up function on it, when I key up on my Sideband transmiter at anything above 5 watts, it turns itself off too :)