anti matter

Originally posted by Sayonara³

Not really, but as long as it stays far away from me I'm happy.

My interest in it increases as it gets closer to me, manifesting itself as me running away quite quickly.

depending on the quantity of it though. plus it would be a bit tricky to run away from virtual particles.

actually this always amused me in star trek, the way that they foolishly thought that dumping the core would save them from an antimatter explosion, when really it would take out the solar system.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

depending on the quantity of it though. plus it would be a bit tricky to run away from virtual particles.

actually this always amused me in star trek, the way that they foolishly thought that dumping the core would save them from an antimatter explosion, when really it would take out the solar system.

I think the idea was to dump the core then use the impulse engines to get a nice distance away from it.

Full impulse is 1/4 lightspeed, but the impulse engines can be used to power the warp nacelles up to about warp 4 for short periods.

I don't see a problem with running from virtual particles. In fact, I suspect I would have a greater chance of successfully escaping them or their effects than I would with real particles.

RUN!

Originally posted by Sayonara³

I think the idea was to dump the core then use the impulse engines to get a nice distance away from it.

Full impulse is 1/4 lightspeed, but the impulse engines can be used to power the warp nacelles up to about warp 4 for short periods.

but considering the time it would take for the antimatter to react...... oh I am not going into this, Star Trek science is awful, and should be dumped in pseudoscience.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

but considering the time it would take for the antimatter to react...... oh I am not going into this, Star Trek science is awful, and should be dumped in pseudoscience.

If I can ignore the biology, you can ignore the physics!

Use your imagination damn you! Flee the antimatter, run! run! :P

I don't really see the point of the warp core dump mechanism.

The guy who designed chenobyl must have saved his best work for the federation.

I mean, what's the point of something which breaks the instant you might need it?

Guest Syntax

I dont know much about anti-matter, but in the books I read it doesn't even say anti-matter can be controlled. Like, if we actually had it, we wouldn't be able to control it enough to work the way we want it to, and it'd most likely turn out to be a disaster.