rocket power

i was reading new scientist a while ago and it was talking about nucler powered rocket but did not want to use it because it could harm life on earth. so why not send it up to space with a normal rocket then blast off from there??:spam: :uhh: :feedback:

If you're talking about the Orion Project, the idea was it was more cost-effective than rockets capable of launching and carrying equal mass (which was a theoretical saving anyway, since such rockets did not exist and still don't).

• 8 months later...

a faraday cage is great with a earth strap and lower levels of EMR but at those levels of EMR however it would still be useless.

phase cancelation may work though used in conjuction with one, but it will require using some of the nukes power to do it with (50% at optimum) the blast wave would remain uneffected (the bit used for the lift) :)

We've launched a nuclear powered satellite before. It was called Cassini, carried 72lbs of plutonium fuel, and will arrive at its destination (Saturn) this year, after a journey that started in 1997.

In fact, NASA has launched 23 nuclear powered satellites, but none as large as the last one. There's even been a couple of accidents, but the containers of the plutonium didn't rupture.

I think this is about nuclear powered rockets from Earth upwards though, considerably more dangerous :(

the EMR could be nullified with rellative ease, a multi-phasic resonance cavity using the nukes own emp to simultaniosly setup a magnetic dampening feild of the same polarity (not an inverse feild as that would be coerceive) thus nullifying any dangerous EMR aboard the rocket, the farady cage would cover any stray harmonics that escape.

it Would however generate alot of heat, but that aid air expansion and thus lift :)

that would still leave the problem of chemical "fall out" as the craft arose higher into the atmosphere :(

oh well, there`s no system that`s entirely perfect :)

dude they all are :)

it`s just that there was an idea proposed to set of little nukes under a craft in time periods to get it into space. kinda like standing on a steel plate and letting off dynamite every few secs until it`s parachute time.

the nuclear power in sats is for the electricity source, not a series of bombs behind it to push it :)

if ya ask me, I think it`s crazy doing it here on earth, in space as previously posted is a MUCH better idea, but assemble it there in space, not down here! :)