Fast breeder reactors

So here is some interesting reading I found regarding the OP today.

The first is a transcript of a NPR debate on the pros and cons of thorium reactors between science writer Richard Martin (pro) and electrical and nuclear engineer Dr. Ajun Makhijani (con). It is rather lengthy but it helped me understand why some are leery of this technology. 

https://www.npr.org/2012/05/04/152026805/is-thorium-a-magic-bullet-for-our-energy-problems

The second is a list of pros and cons of thorium reactors. 

https://vittana.org/16-big-thorium-reactor-pros-and-cons#

From the second link:

5. It produces high levels of energy.
A thorium reactor can produce efficiency levels as high as 98%. Current nuclear technologies can achieve an efficiency rate of about 5% with its fuel.

Any chance the above is accurate?

Also Dr. Arjun addressed the problem below in the first (NPR) link but the quote is from the second link. It seems it could be a deal breaker if I understand correctly.

3. Not every thorium design is self-sustaining.
Although thorium reactors would create up to two orders of magnitude less in nuclear waste, not every reactor can produce as much fissile material as it consumes while generating energy. Some reactor designs required the addition of new fissile materials, such as plutonium, to maintain production levels. That reduces many of the benefits that a thorium reactor is able to deliver once it becomes operational.